Family Favorites...Sloppy Joe Turnovers

Rolling squares Challenged
  Saturday night supper and I wanted something easy to make. I thought I had the perfect recipe from the Pillsbury Best of Classic Cookbooks. Sue had given me some of her Mexican filling already made and frozen and I had a can of biscuits. Easy right!
  Well, we decided I am rolling pin challenged. I can roll circles, as I make lots of pie crust, but how do you get round biscuits into 4 inch squares? 
  Bettie and Lyle thought they were good, Bettie ate hers with some Salsa, so I will make them again. The next time I will make  the biscuits. Whether from scratch or from refrigerated biscuits, roll the dough out into a square and then cut your squares. I am posting the Pillsbury recipe as it is in the book, with a link to the Mexican filling. That way you can try either. If you have small children eating these, you might want the milder filling. 
  Either way, I hope yours look better than mine did!
Sloppy Joe Turnovers
½ pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
¼ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
1 (6 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
   Heat oven to 375°F. In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain. Stir in ketchup, sour cream, salt and garlic powder. Simmer for 2 minutes.
  Separate dough into 5 biscuits. Press or roll out each biscuit to a 4 inch square. Put on cookie sheet. Place ⅛ to ¼ cup filling on half. Fold one corner over to make a triangle. Press edges together firmly. Cut 2 ½ inch slits in top of each. 
  Bake at 375° for 12 to 18 minutes or until brown.
Try using Frozen Mexican filling, your favorite sloppy joe filling, and your own biscuits for a change.

8 comments:

  1. LOL I'd think you can just make them semi-circles like you did. I wouldn't have any idea how to make a square out of a circle either! Sounds good. Something different. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nadine, Someone must know how as there the directions were, LOL. However you are right they are good and something different for a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squares out of a circle! That is like trying to put a square peg inside a circle. But making squares can be done.

    Actually what a person does is get your circle made and with sharp knife slightly trim around each side to make your sq. but to me that is a waste of the dough...But you can also take your hands, or bench knife; going around the edges and form into a square.......... OR another idea; combine all the biscuits together and then the dough is rolled into a rectangle and cut into square biscuits.... (I like using a pizza cutter or using my bench knife to cut into squares.}
    I love making hand held pies like this.
    I have some left-over meat mixture from making Indian Tacos the other day and what a great way in using it up and then again I could always freeze the left over meat mixture but these hand pies makes for a quick Sunday snack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Colleen, if I make my own dough I don't have that problem just the canned biscuits which are already round.
      And you are right it is a good way to use up leftover meat or veggies.

      Delete
  4. Homemade is Always better anyway.
    Have a great weekend
    Right now; I'm in process of making Peppernuts.( If German you will know what these are.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are part German and our Mom made Peppernuts.

      Delete
  5. I have some leftover seasoned meat from last night's burritos, but not sure if I have any biscuits. Will try this soon to see what hubby thinks. I can always make calzones.

    I had to look up Peppernuts. I'm German from both sides of my family, but have never heard of them. They don't sound like anything I'd care for, which is probably what my folks thought too. I have made spiced nuts for Christmas (I don't like those either), but nothing like Peppernuts. Just give me the nuts! lol

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadine, I have to say I really don't care for them either and never make them myself. They do get better as they age, and soften.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.