Basic Potato Yeast Bread


This is one of our favorite breads – the potato flakes make it moist and it keeps longer. I slice these when they are very cool; package in bread bags and freeze. We remove them a couple of slices at a time. Let the dough rise the first time right in the mixer bowl, saves washing! Takes about 2 hours.
Potato Bread
2 2/3 cups water
2 pounds bread flour -- about 6 1/2-7 cups (can use 1 cup whole wheat flour substitute)
3 1/2 tablespoons Butter -- (or salad oil)
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Ounces potato flakes -- (5/8 cup)
1 Ounce dry skim milk -- (1/3 cup)
4 Teaspoons Instant or rapid rise dry yeast* (2 packages)

•Heat water to 120-125 ° in microwave or saucepan. Use an instant-read themometer to get the right temperature.  Place flour (minus 1 cup), butter, sugar, salt, potato flakes, dry milk and yeast in mixer bowl.
•Using paddle attachment, turn on mixer to slow and add water. Turn to speed 2 and mix 2 minutes. Change to dough hook, add remaining flour and knead 6 minutes.
•Let rise in warm place in covered mixer bowl 10 minutes.
•Shape into 2 loaves, about 1# 13 oz. each, let rise in  greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" pans 30 minutes or until the loaf is 1" above pan rim, while preheating oven to 400 °. Bake 28 minutes.
In 2018- $ 1.08 per loaf   Makes 2 loaves for $2.18
Per Serving: 128 Calories; 2g Fat (12.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 287mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
** If you use active dry yeast instead of instant or rapid rise yeast, the rising times just about double.
**If you don't have dry milk, substitute one cup of regular milk for a cup of water.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I did a google search for recipes to make bread in a food processor and I ended up here.Im so glad I did, I LOVE your blog! I have a question for you, would you recommend using a food processor over a stand mixer or bread machine to make bread? I am thinking about purchasing a 14 cup processor, I already have the other two items, but the bread machine is on its last leg, it fell off the counter and the lid is broken so I have to tape it shut to use it. lol So instead of replacing it with a tool that only does bread I thought about a food processor. I have 7 children so I would be making large recipes. What are some of your favorite things to use your food processor for? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

    amanyk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a 14 cup processor for making single loaves of bread or pans of rolls; I use my 5 quart Kitchenaid bowl-lift mixer for 2 or 3 loaves at a time, which is weekly for us.
      I do use my processor for chopping, shredding and slicing vegetables, and shredding bulk cheese. Also for making salad dressings and mayonnaise where you can add the oil slowly through the holes; much easier than trying to do that by hand. I also make ground beef and chop cooked chicken or ham for sandwich fillings, etc. Many folks make their pie crust in one too.
      I use my mixer more than my processor, as I make granola, bread, bread sticks and the like every week; and I also use it for cookie dough, cakes, quick breads. I also use it for my homemade noodles.
      I have found that for bread making especially, I like the plain, heavy-duty 14 cup Cuisinart processor the best, I gave my fancy 14 cup processor to Myrna. It really lacked a little in the power department for bread.
      I gave up my bread machine because it wasn't as versatile as either the mixer and processor.
      Glad you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.