Chicken Stock


I had 4 pounds of chicken hindquarters in my freezer so today was the day to make chicken stock. I basically use the chicken stock direction in the Joy of Cooking. I do add a clove of garlic to mine, as we like garlic. That stock can then be canned, see your Ball Blue Book, or frozen. I will put some of it in the refrigerator as I plan on making Chicken Rice Soup later this week. You can put leftover carrots, onion celery in a freezer bag in your freezer to use when you decide to make stock. Leftover chicken, I freeze for hot dishes and the bones and skin go into a separate container for stock when I have time to make it. Rotisserie chicken will make good stock or chicken soup with the leftovers. You might notice that I am using the celery leaves. This is a good way to use them up and get lots of flavor.
Following are the directions as given in my Joy of Cooking, 1964.

Chicken Stock
Always  start with cold water. 
4 pounds chicken backs, wings, necks or hindquarters
4 quarts of cold water
8 peppercorns (if you want real clear stock use white peppercorns)
1 large bay leaf
1 teaspoon thyme
4 to 6 whole cloves
6 stems parsley
1 medium onion cut up
1 medium carrot cut up
3 stalks celery cut up (here is a good place to use those celery leaves)

No salt is added as this will be used in other dishes and you can salt then with what ever you are making. Remember the seasonings get stronger as it cooks.
Bring to a boil, skim foam off, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Or until reduced by about half.
Cool uncovered and refrigerate until ready to use, can or freeze.
When cold the fat will rise and harden and can be removed. Do leave a little for the flavor.

2 comments:

  1. I love Joy of Cooking but never used a particular stock recipe, although I do make a lot of stock. I'd like to try this. The cloves look interesting. It doesn't say how much chicken. What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane I don't know how I missed your comment, but the recipe calls for 4 pounds if you are using bony pieces such as backs and wings. if you are using meaty pieces such as thighs and drumsticks I usually use about one and a half or two pounds. Most often, I just save the backs etc, till I have about that amount.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.