Strawberry Cream Trifle




Wanting something cool to make and eat I decided to make a trifle. I didn’t have a recipe I really made one up as I went along. They turned out quite good, so will write this down while I still remember what I did.

The first thing I did was make the cream filling from the French raspberry pie recipe.:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 egg yolks (save your egg whites to add to a custard or scrambled eggs)
1 cup half and half (Milk would work)
1 teaspoon butter (not margarine)
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a small bowl place the sugar, flour, cornstarch and egg yolks. Beat until light and lemon colored. Heat milk in a double boiler just to under boiling. Too hot will cook your eggs. If you get it too hot, just let it cool for a few minutes. Slowly pour about a third of the milk into the sugar egg mixture stirring constantly. Pour this mixture back into the milk. Cook over hot water until very thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to keep a skin from forming. Cool.
While this was cooling, I washed and sliced up a 1-lb. box of strawberries. Saved about 5 to put on top. To the berries, I added 2 Tablespoons of cream sherry. Let these set to draw a small amount of juice.
Since I was taking these somewhere else, I decided to use Ziploc 8 oz. bowls with lids to put them in. Normally I would have put it in a straight sided glass bowl.
Next cut about 1/4 in. slices of pound cake, (Mine came from the bakery) put in bowl on bottom and up the side slightly. Next divide the strawberries and juice into the bowls, I ended up with 10- 8 oz. bowls. Pour the cream filling over the berries in each bowl. dividing as evenly as possible. Since I don’t like Cool Whip, I whipped a pint of whipping cream with 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Top each dish with the cream and a half slice of the strawberries you saved back. Snap on lids or cover bowl with plastic wrap and put in fridge until cold. If you have some left over, it is just as good the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.