Chicken Rice Soup

One of our go-to meals when the weather is cooler is Chicken Rice Soup.
I really don’t have a recipe as I have made it for so many years. I will try to give the directions, and this is one of those recipes that can be varied by your family's tastes.
We like it quite simple so that is what I usually do.
Chicken Rice Soup
2 quarts homemade chicken stock (Store bought works also, keep in mind it is saltier)
 Sauté in small pan until translucent, not browned:
 three stalks of celery diced
1/2 medium onion diced
I put a clove of garlic in my stock if you want it could be added here, minced fine or leave whole and remove before serving.
Put in the chicken stock which is heating with:
 About 4 to 5 carrots sliced 
About 2 cups diced up cooked chicken
 I usually have some in the freezer from making stock. I have in a pinch used store bought canned chicken. If you have home canned chicken this is even better. Here is where you may want to vary the spices. I usually use - to taste - salt, pepper a bay leaf and about 2 teaspoons sweet basil. Dried works fine in soup. Let this simmer on low for about a hour. The stock is already cooked so you are just cooking the carrots and other veggie's and letting the flavors mingle. 
About one half hour to 45 minutes before you plan on eating, add 2/3 cup uncooked rice. Bring to a slow boil and turn the heat down and let simmer till you are ready to eat. 
This will serve 3 to 4 with generous sized bowls. I will do homemade bread, or muffins with this to add to the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.