Date Pinwheel Cookies

I like date-filled cookies; so does my husband. I saw this recipe in a community cookbook loaned to me by my friend Bettie; it was contributed by her grandmother, Mrs. Arthur Mitchell.  Grandma Mitchell didn’t give any baking time or temperature; she assumed that the reader was as experienced as she.
Some recipes for these cookies add some finely chopped nuts to the filling. These were the easiest date-filled cookies I’ve made, and pretty too.  My husband didn't want me to give any of these away and yesterday my 9 year old grandson wanted to know if I had any of these on hand because he enjoyed them last time he was here for lunch.  These cookies got a thumbs up from everyone who tried them; thanks again, Bettie.
Filled Ice Box Cookies
1 cup Butter -- 2 sticks
1 cup Sugar -- 7 ounces
1 cup Brown Sugar -- 8 ounces
3 large Eggs -- about 6 3/4 ounces with shells
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 cups Flour, All-purpose -- 18 ounces
1 teaspoon Soda
Filling
1 pound Dates -- cut up
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
Filling: Combine dates, sugar and water and cook until thick. Cool until ready to use.
Cream butter, add sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Add combined dry ingredients. Halve dough. Roll out 1/2 inch thick. Spread with filling, roll up like a jelly roll. Refrigerate overnight. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cut in thin slices and bake at 400° 8-10 minutes.  I used parchment paper on my cookie sheet.
You need to flour your board fairly well, the dough is sticky. You could refrigerate it a couple of hours if you have time; longer and the dough starts to crack when you roll it.
• I trimmed the edges of the dough before spreading on the date filling - I don't really think it was necessary, as the slices are so thin, any unevenness doesn't really show.
• I wrapped the rolls in waxed paper, and then a gallon bag to store in the freezer. The recipe didn't give a baking time or temperature; the contributor assumed you knew how to bake cookies. I tried several temps and times, the 400° worked best for me.
• Remove rolls from refrigerator after an hour or two and roll them gently to round them before baking or freezing. The rolls freeze and slice very nicely.
• This is a big recipe - I expect to get 4 or 5 dozen nice size cookies; I don't know because one roll is still residing in my freezer, perhaps to bake off during the busy holidays.
• This entire recipe cost me about $5.
Per Serving: 90 Calories; 3g Fat (27.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 30mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think I could substitute dried figs, apricots or prunes for the dates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why not - although I might add a little lemon juice to apricots - they are much sweeter. Your filling needs to be fairly stiff - just cook until nice and thick.
    The dough tastes a lot like fig newtons, so I think figs would be idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! My mother used to make these and send them to me at ISU!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.