Coleslaw with Peanuts

I’m always looking for the perfect Cole slaw recipe and this is a good one that I think almost anyone would like.  This would be a good choice for entertaining when you aren't sure how adventurous you guests are.  I prefer cooked dressing and my husband likes mayonnaise – this uses some of each.  If I was making this for myself I would double the cooked dressing and leave out the mayonnaise; but it is good either way.  I sprinkled on peanuts at the last minute so they would still be crunchy - some guests may not be able to eat them, so they would make a good topping on the side.
I prefer to make my own chopped slaw, because I can use the rest of the cabbage for another good dish.  I use the food processor because my husband likes his fairly fine; make the consistency whatever YOU like.   I weighed the cabbage before I chopped it – 1 pound  made just 4 cups shredded.                
                          Coleslaw with Peanuts
     1/3  cup  sugar
  1         tablespoon  flour, all-purpose
  1         teaspoon  dry mustard
     1/2  teaspoon  salt
  1         large  egg
     1/3  cup  cider vinegar
  1         tablespoon  butter
  2         stalks  celery -- chopped
     1/2  cup  roasted peanuts -- plus 2 tablespoons (coarsely chopped)
     1/4  cup  onion -- coarsely chopped
     1/4  cup  green pepper -- finely minced
     1/4  cup  fresh parsley -- finely minced
  4         cups  cabbage -- shredded (about 1 pound)
     1/2  cup  mayonnaise
In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, mustard, and salt.  In a small saucepan, beat the egg well, add the vinegar and mix.  Then add the sugar flour mixture gradually, and blend.
Cook over low heat, whisking smooth, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes.  Stir in the butter, then set aside and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the vegetables and toss to mix.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the boiled dressing and the 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.  Toss with cabbage mixture.  Serve chilled.
Add the peanuts to the mixture just an hour before serving so they stay crunchy.
8 servings or 1 quart 
2011 Cost:  about 96¢ per recipe without the peanuts or 12¢ per serving.
Description:  "Cooking from Quilt Country”
Per Serving: 175 Calories; 14g Fat (67.2% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 253mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

  1. That cole slaw looks really good. I just made cole slaw for the first time and was surprised how much I enjoyed it home made (I've only had KFC, etc before) Your recipe looks like one to try next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.