Lettuce Wedge Salad


 I recently picked up a copy of Southern Living, Best Comfort Food Recipes in the grocery store. It was a tossup which recipe looked better and which to try first, so today, I made two of them. Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce and for supper tonight I am making Lettuce Wedge salads mainly because the picture reminded me so much of the way lettuce salad was served in the 50”s when I was growing up. Also, the dressing looked quite good and fairly easy. We are all fans of Ranch style dressings so this looked to be a clear winner. I did follow the suggestion of making it ahead as I wanted it to thicken a little and also so I could have the dishes from making it done up before supper.

Lettuce Wedge Salad
4 to 5 bacon slices
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup sour cream
1 (1-oz,) envelope Ranch dressing mix
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 garlic cloves
1 large head iceberg lettuce cut into 4 wedges
Shredded basil (optional
  1. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
  2. Saute onion in hot drippings over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool
  3. Process onion, buttermilk, and next 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
  4. Top each lettuce wedge with dressing; sprinkle with bacon. Top with shredded basil if desired.
NOTE: You can make the dressing ahead and store it in the refrigerator. The chilled dressing will have a thicker consistency.
  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I've never eaten a wedge salad, definitely will try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.