Scalloped Corn

Bettie and Lyle have been asking for Scalloped corn, so thought I would give this recipe in The Practical Produce a try. It is a basic, easy to do dish and did not require a lot of time to get ready. They felt it could have used just a touch of sugar, as the corn was not real sweet. I used frozen corn from the store and as it calls for cooked corn cooked it in the microwave this morning and put it in the fridge until ready to use. That worked out well, and this is certainly a easy dish to put together. 
  If you like corn, you might want to give this a try.
Scalloped Corn
2 eggs
1 cup milk
⅔ cup cracker crumbs
2 cups cooked corn
1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion
3 Tablespoon melted butter
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
Beat the eggs and add milk and crumbs. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour into a buttered casserole. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I love scalloped corn. My mom made that when I was a child. This is a very old recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scalloped corn was one of my dad's favorites...He also loved Wilted Lettuce but I never knew how to make it....maybe you have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very similar to the recipe that Edna Lewis published for southern Corn Pudding. She didn't use the crumbs, added 1/3 cup sugar (that made it too sweet--I use less than 1/4 cup) and she also grated nutmeg over the top before baking it in a water bath. I've had it made with at least part heavy cream instead of milk and that is amazingly rich. I also add some black pepper and a sprinkle of cayenne with the grated nutmeg for a bit more flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.