Mincemeat Turnovers

Maybe you have to be as old as Myrna and I are to remember how delicious mincemeat is.  Our grandmother made her own mincemeat, and I have made it too, with a recipe from the Ball Blue Book, so when I saw this recipe in the “Farm Journal Complete Pie Cookbook“ I had to put my name on it.  Especially since our local Fareway grocery stocks very, very good mincemeat at their meat counter around the holidays.  Because the mincemeat I purchase is full of apples already, I didn’t add the apples called for in this recipe…if you use Borden’s “None-Such” prepared mincemeat, often found with pie fillings, do use the apples.  I used pie crust from my freezer pie dough stash, so I had very little to do to make these delicious little pies.  We like these better than a big mincemeat pie; mincemeat is very rich, and the ratio of filling to dough is better with these small turnovers.  We liked the touch of sweet frosting glaze too.                    
                       Frosted Mincemeat Turnovers
                        Pastry for 2 Crust Pie
  2        Cups  Flour, All-purpose -- sifted
  1        Teaspoon  Salt
     ¾    Cup  Shortening
  4        Tablespoons  Cold Water -- to 5 Tablespoons
                        Filling
  1        Cup  Mincemeat -- prepared or homemade
     ¼     Cup  Apples -- diced, peeled
             Powdered Sugar Frosting
     ¼     Cup  Butter -- softened
     ½     Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
  1         Cup  Powdered Sugar -- sifted
             Water as Needed
 Make pie crust.  Roll pastry about 1/8" thick and in 4 1/2" circles. (Use a big cutter or cut around a saucer).
Combine mincemeat and apples.  Place about a tablespoon (size 60 scoops) of mixture on each pastry circle.  Don’t overfill.  Fold over to make half-moons and seal edges with 4-tined fork.  Prick tops.
Bake on a cookie sheet in a 450° oven about 15 minutes, or until browned.
Spread tops while slightly warm with Powdered Sugar Frosting.
Makes about 15 turnovers
Per Serving: 257 Calories; 14g Fat (47.9% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 201mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Fruit; 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. We love mincemeat and the turnovers look delicious. We use the boxed condensed None Such here now but in the past we have made our own mincemeat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you had ever made a pie with the Fareway mincemeat. I'm looking to try it early Thanksgiving Day, but I have no idea how much I'll need for a pie. It's a surprise for my boyfriend and his grandpa (2 of 3 of the only people in the family who will eat it). Also, does mincemeat freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, This is Myrna. I make pie every year from the Fareway mincemeat. It works great. I usually put one is a small (8 in) pie shell. However, I rarely make a pie that small so I use two containers in a 9 inch or larger. It is rich so cut in small pieces. Your pie eaters will love you. You can use it in any mincemeat pie recipe you would like to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    Both the mincemeat and finished pie or turnovers freeze very well. I buy extra mincemeat this time of year so I can freeze it and use it when I can't get it later.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.