Whole Wheat Mustard Buns

When my husband saw what I was making, his comment was “Good, now maybe we’ll have some good whole wheat buns!”  He’s right - I hadn’t found a whole wheat bun recipe I liked until this one. 
Talk about fast – using instant yeast, it took me less than 1 ½ hours from start to finish – about the time it takes to make batter-type rolls.  The dough was very easy to handle and shaped into buns easily.  I baked them on a jelly roll pan, using parchment paper.
Next time I may add a few caraway seeds to the dough.  This recipe from "Simply From Scratch" is probably my “new” sandwich bun recipe - they taste great and had a very nice texture.  
Whole Wheat Mustard Buns
  2 1/2 Cups  Bread Flour -- 11 1/4 oz
  1        Cup  Whole Wheat Flour -- 4 oz
  1        Tablespoon  Sugar
  1        Teaspoon  Salt
  1        Package  Instant Yeast -- 2 teaspoons
  1        Tablespoon  Salad Oil
  1        Tablespoon  Prepared Mustard
  1        Large  Egg
     1/2 Cup  Whole Milk -- 120-125°
     1/2 Cup  Water -- 120-125°
  1        Egg -- beaten
Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl, except 1/2 cup bread flour.
Add mustard, oil and egg to mixture.  Add warm water and milk while mixing with paddle attachment.  Mix 2 minutes.
Add remaining flour gradually until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.  Change to dough hook and knead 6 minutes.
Let rest, covered, in warm place 10 minutes.
Grease large cookie sheet.  (I used parchment paper on a jelly roll pan).  Divide dough into 9 pieces (about 3 ounces each).  Shape each piece into a ball; place on cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly.
Let rise in warm place until doubled, 20 minutes.  Cover lightly with a sprayed sheet of waxed paper or a plastic cookie sheet cover.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 375°.  Carefully brush buns with beaten egg.  Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack. 
9 Buns
2011 Cost:  $1.37 or 16¢ per bun
Per Serving: 227 Calories; 4g Fat (15.9% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 282mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh...

    I haven't been around in awhuile and what do I find when I return?
    A recipe which features my guy's favorite condiment!!!

    I've read thet mustard is actually extremely nutritious and a healthy addition to our diet. Thuis recipe sounds great and I'll suggest it to Steve--better yet, I'll just make it; I already know he's gonna love it!

    Thanks for all you do, Iowa Housewife. You make me proud to be one, too.

    8 )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious look and its my favorite food . this burger very tasty and superb sharing

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.