Hush Puppies

  I had my daughter and grandson over for supper tonight. One of Ryan’s favorite foods since he was a little boy is hush puppies. I had found a recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens best comfort foods 2011 to try. Since they looked fairly easy and I had all the ingredients except the buttermilk I wanted to make them with fish and coleslaw for supper. I soured some milk instead of buying buttermilk and it worked great. Also used fresh chives from my pot instead of green onions. I think I will try them with white cornmeal next time, but the yellow worked just fine. Ryan gave them two thumbs up so I guess Grandma did it again. (He thinks Grandma is a great cook, and I never tell him different). 
  I made these in my electric frying pan instead of a deep fryer and that worked well also. Less oil to use and less cleanup. Since I took my frying pan out of storage I find I use it a lot. No idea why I quit using it. One of those things, I guess.
  All of the recipes I have used in this magazine have been great. Just what they say they will do and I can highly recommend this magazine cookbook. Hope you can find one in your local store. Well worth the cost.
Hush Puppies
1 cup cornmeal
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten
½ cup buttermilk (½ tablespoon vinegar and add milk to ½ cup)
¼ cup sliced green onions (2)
  Vegetable oil for deep fat frying
  In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  In another bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and green onion. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy)
  In a 3 quart saucepan or deep fat fryer, heat 2 inches oil to 375°F. For each hush puppy, drop a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter into the hot oil. Fry about 3 minutes or until golden. Turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes 14 to 18 hush puppies

2 comments:

  1. Yes...Myrna, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love hush puppies. sometimes I add just a little bit of sage to my batter & that is really good also. Yours look great, making me hungry :-) think I will go and eat brunch. hugs Doris

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.