Maple Pudding


This pudding from "The Basics and More Cook Book" is so simple I could hardly believe it.  Beating the egg in with the sugar, flour and some of the milk eliminated any clumping often associated with pudding.  I liked the combination of flour and cornstarch better than all flour for the thickener.  Be sure you use a large or extra-large egg for thickening power. 
This isn’t as sweet-tasting as purchased pudding mixes.  I served it with some fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of pecans.

                              Maple Pudding
     2/3    cup  Brown Sugar
     1/3    cup  Flour, All-purpose -- or 1/4 cup flour and 1 tablespoons cornstarch
     1/3    cup  Milk
   1          large  Eggs -- beaten
  1 2/3    cups  Milk -- heated
   4          Teaspoons  Butter
     1/2    Teaspoon  Maple Flavoring
     1/2    Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
Mix sugar with flour, then mix with first amount of the milk.  Add sugar mixture to beaten eggs.  Bring the remaining milk to a boil.  Add egg mixture. 
Cook over medium until thick, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add butter.  Stir in flavoring and chill, covered with plastic wrap right down on the pudding to prevent forming a skin on top.
6 Servings
2012 Cost: 94¢ or 16¢ per serving
Per Serving: 172 Calories; 6g Fat (32.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 84mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

4 comments:

  1. I have never made homemade pudding. I think my husband would really like this. Thank you for sharing!

    Mecky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I could substitute syprup for the maple. Thank you for this recipe. Oh I love pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,
    I don't think you can make that substitution with this recipe. I think it would take a lot of tinkering to make that substitution successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M-m-m-m-m-m, I can already 'taste' this (your picture along with my imagination serves me well). I will make this tomorrow, for sure. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.