Crunchy Orange Muffins


  Robin Hood flour was the flour used by our mother and grandmother. Being from Minnesota and Robin Hood being a Canadian company it was used by many bakers in our small town. 
  They have put out several cookbooks and booklets over the years and the one this recipe is from, Robin Hood Home Baking, has like the rest, many good recipes.
  My family likes muffins and this one, which is a variation on their blueberry muffin recipe is a simple and tasty muffin. I usually have oranges on hand so it is easy to make. Orange juice freezes well and I also save any rind I do not use at once. Hope you enjoy these. I would bake them about 2 to 4 minutes less depending on your oven or they will dry out.
Crunchy Orange Muffins
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
⅓ cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
⅔ cup milk
¼ cup orange juice
1 egg
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Topping
¼ cup finely chopped nuts
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  In large bowl stirring well, add flour, sugar, orange rind, baking powder, and salt. 
In a small bowl combine milk, orange juice, egg and oil. Beat slightly. Add to dry ingredients all at once. Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Fill greased or paper lined cups ⅔ full.
  Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle on batter. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter
Makes 1 dozen muffins.

2 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious! I recently made cranberry orange muffins, and the family went nuts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been able to find Robin Hood Flour here.(I do have a recipe box that they put out)
    We can't even get White Liliy, which I really like for biscuts. I have to special order it. Maybe I will ask if I can order some Robin Hood.

    We were fortunate to have a mill in the little Mayberry town I grew up in, which had the best flour around according to older people I have talked to.

    The muffins sound really good. I have got to try these!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.