Two Tone Rye Twist
3 Cups Flour, All-purpose
4 Cups Rye Flour -- medium
4 Teaspoons Instant Yeast
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
¼ Cup Butter -- softened
2 ¼ Cups Water -- 120°-130°
¼ Cup Molasses
¼ Cup Cocoa
- Weigh white flour into mixer bowl. Weigh rye flour onto 2 pieces of waxed paper. Measure cocoa and molasses; set aside.
- To mixer bowl, add yeast, sugar, salt and butter. Stirring on slow speed with paddle attachment, add water. Beat with mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat at high speed for 1 minute or until thick and elastic.
- Pour half of the batter (about 2 cups) into a large bowl, cover and set aside. (Use your 2nd mixer bowl if you have one). Add molasses and cocoa to the remaining half of the batter. Gradually add just enough of the half portion of rye flour to batter to make soft dough which leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead 5 minutes on speed 2 with dough hook. Turn out onto bread board and cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Return the remaining batter to the mixer bowl. Gradually add just enough or the remaining half portion of rye flour to batter to make a soft dough which leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead 5 minutes on speed 2 with dough hook. Turn out onto bread board and cover; let rest 20 minutes.
- You should have two batches of dough, one dark and one light. Roll each half into a 14 x 8" rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 equal strips about 14 x 4". Pinch the lengthwise edges of each strip together to form a 14" rope. Twist 1 light and 1 dark rope together for each loaf. Seal ends and tuck under.
- Place in 2 greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" loaf pans which have been sprinkled with corn meal. Correct pan size is important for best results.
- Let rise, covered, until doubled, about 25-30 minutes. (There is little "oven spring").
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes until done. Use a lower rack for best results. Remove from pan immediately and brush top crust with butter. Cool on rack.
2012 Cost: $2.28 per recipe or $1.14 per loaf
Yield: "2 Loaves"
Per Serving: 112 Calories; 2g Fat (14.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 217mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.