Homemade Granola bars


  This recipe from the Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorites. The jury is still out on oatmeal for Celiac diets. I seem to be able to tolerate it. Do not buy your oatmeal at a bulk food store. There is too much chance of cross contamination. Also, of course, if you are wheat intolerant you will want to leave out the wheat germ. Other than that this is a great recipe for anyone and keeps well if you can hide it long enough. I must confess I am not a big fan of granola and I love these. They are moist, chewy and just plain good. I am going to give you the recipe with the wheat germ in it just omit it if you cannot eat wheat.
Homemade Granola Bars
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal (I used regular as that was what I had on hand)
1 cup sliced almonds 
1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (Optional)
3 tablespoons butter
⅔ cup honey
¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (This is a different measurement)
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup chopped pitted dates chopped
½ cup dried apricots chopped
½ cup dried cranberries
  Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8 x 12 inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
  Toss the oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Put mixture in a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ. (Since I did not use the wheat germ I added more nuts)
  Reduce the temperature to 300°. Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the dried fruit and stir well.
    Put the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature. 

2 comments:

  1. I almost made this recipe the other day! Such a coincidence that it's on your website. I'll have to give it a try now that you've given it such a good review. I've been trying to find a good granola bar recipe. But so far, the ones I've tried are too sweet or too crumbly. This looks like a good one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa. We really liked this one. The dates keep it nice and moist and I did not feel it was over sweet. I think it would work well in small balls also. Do notice that the brown sugar is not firmly packed to measure. That makes it less sweet I thought.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.