Pepperoni Chili


  I had some pepperoni in the freezer that I needed to use up, so this recipe from Taste Of Home Grand Prize Winners looked like the one to use. We usually eat Hormel Chili as that is what all of us like. However, this looked good and I did alter it slightly to suit our families tastes. 
  The stewed tomatoes I used were Mexican flavored instead of Italian, and I had some fresh rosemary and fresh thyme from Sue’s pots so used it instead of the seasoning called for in the recipe. Also used light pinto beans as none of us likes the dark red kidney beans. No chili spice or added salt in the recipe and it was spiced just right. I did have a blend of Italian cheese which we sprinkled on top. 
  The recipe was enough for three of us for a meal and lunch for Bettie and her boss tomorrow. I like recipes that do not need the leftovers stored. 
  Like all the recipes I have tried from this magazine cookbook, the times and amounts were right on and they were all tasty and we will use them again.
  Pepperoni Chili
1 pound ground beef
1 can (16 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce 
1 can (14 ½ ounce) Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 ½ cups water (I used only about ½ cup as we like ours thick)
1 package (3 ½ ounces) sliced pepperoni
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper is desired
Shredded cheese (optional)
  In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and heat for ½ hour or until chili reaches desired thickness. Sprinkle with cheese when serving if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.