Beet Pickles


The Deseret cookbook has common recipes, many with a different twist. As we all like beet pickles and they are quite expensive to buy and a mess to make, even if you have a garden and fresh beets, I decided to try this recipe using canned beets instead of fresh. 
  I think these are maybe the best beet pickles I have had in quite awhile. They give the amount of cloves as optional, but I used it. We ate the whole can that day finishing them off by the end of supper. I am planning to keep a jar of them in the refrigerator at least once a week. 
So easy, I just drained a 14 ounce can of sliced beets, our store brand, and used them for the beets. If you like beet pickles do try these.

Pickled Beets
  Combine in saucepan and heat to boiling:
⅓ cup white vinegar
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cloves (optional) I used the cloves
  Add and simmer 5 minutes 2 cups of sliced and cooked beets 
  Chill

4 comments:

  1. This might be my favorite food!! l love them. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Love them and can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do adore pickled beets! Thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda off subject....but I have to ask, hoping you have an answer. This is the first year I did my own pickled beets. The WHOLE long process...but i did enjoy it. My mom sent me my grandmothers recipe, and I googled around for another. I made two batches, the OTHER recipe called for whole cloves in the bottom of the jars. It had 5 stars....what could go wrong??! Cant stand them, the clove flavor is so intense, its almost bitter and makes my tongue numb. I am sick at the thought of tossing them...any ideas on how to make them suitable to eat? (for us)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I am afraid that neither Sue or I have any idea of what to do with these. I am afraid that the clove flavor is in them to stay. So sorry to tell you that.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.