Broccoli Cheese Soup


  Lyle and Bettie are fans of Cream of Broccoli Soup and often order it when we eat out. When I saw this recipe for a quick to fix broccoli cheese soup in the Taste of Home Busy Family Favorites cookbook, I decided to try it. 
  I did alter the recipe some to suit what I had on hand and did not cook all of it in the microwave as the recipe called for. However, I did use the microwave to cook the carrots and used a 12 ounce package of broccoli steamers I had in the freezer. This cut down on the time to fix it and I must say it was very easy to fix and quite fast to get to the table. I am going to give you the recipe as I made it. Both of them said yes, make it again, please. You could add or subtract to this with what ever your family likes. Mixed vegetables might work well. If you don’t have chicken stock on hand, bouillon cubes or powder and water would work for the stock.
  The second time I made this, I used 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch instead of flour. Less carbs and gluten free. Worked well.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 cup thinly sliced carrots, 2 tbs. water
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1 package of broccoli steamers frozen, (I used Green Giant)
2 ½ cups milk
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon dried french thyme 
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  In a small microwave bowl place carrots and 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave for 4 to 5 minutes stirring once or twice. Remove and cook broccoli according to package directions. Before adding to soup you might want to cut it into smaller pieces with a scissors.
  In a bowl or measuring cup, stir flour and salt and pepper. Slowly add the cup of chicken broth stirring with a wire whip. Pour into a medium saucepan. Add the milk and cook for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Stir in the carrots and broccoli and thyme and cook until hot and as thick as you like it. About 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese just until melted and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.