Orange Apricot Freeze


I have to admit it…I found myself making molded salad recipes from the "Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step by Step Cook Book" because they sounded good and looked good too.  They reminded me of something our Mom would have served to her ladies’ group.  However, everyone else likes them too. This recipe may be our favorite – it’s so easy.  We also liked the flavor; not too sweet, but tangy like a salad should be.  I’ll definitely make these again.
I made mine in little salad molds, I sprayed them with cooking spray, and the salads slipped right out.  I just loosened an edge with a sharp knife point; I didn’t even need to warm the molds.  I also made a few in paper baking cups, and I placed the molds and cups in a muffin pan to keep them together in the freezer.  I purchased my molds from a couple of local antique shops – they are fairly hard to find new.
If you want to get them ready before your meal, just unmold them, place them on a waxed paper lined tray, and put them back in the freezer, covered.  Have your lettuce lined plates ready, and when you’re ready to serve, just place the salads on the plates. 
                          Orange Apricot Freeze
  16            Ounces  Orange Yogurt
     1/2       Cup  Sugar
  17            Ounces  Canned Apricot Halves -- drained
     1/3       Cup  Pecans -- coarsely chopped
                  Lettuce Leaves
In a mixing bowl, stir together yogurt and sugar to blend.  Cut up apricots and fold in, along with nuts.  Spoon mixture into a muffin pan lined with 8 paper bake cups.
Cover and freeze until firm.
Peel off paper and serve salads on lettuce-lined plates.
8 Servings
2013 Cost:  $4 or 50¢ per serving
Per Serving: 162 Calories; 5g Fat (25.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 34mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good love apricots. Mom made a wonderful apricot jello salad this has reminded me about . Thanks again. dkc

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.