Peach Crisp


Cooling before we ate them
  What to do with the last few peaches? Having made pie earlier in the week, I wanted to do something different with the peaches I had left. Two of my older  Southern Living cookbooks had recipes for peach crisps but neither was quite what I wanted.
  As Sue will tell you I tend to wing it with recipes sometimes. You really need to write down what you do though so that you can do it again.
This time, I tried to keep track and measure everything so that I could give you the recipe. They turned out well and baking them in individual dishes meant everyone had one. This way I did not need to worry if the peaches were a little runny so did not put any thickener in the filling. Also, they were sweet peaches and the crisp topping has sugar in it, so no sugar in the filling either. Cuts down a little on the caloric value that way. Not that these are diet food.
Peach Crisp
Preheat oven to 325° Lightly grease 4 individual 8 to 10 ounce dishes.
 Peel and slice about 5 peaches, 4 to 5 cups sliced. Sprinkle with one teaspoon of lemon juice and ⅛ teaspoon almond extract. Divide evenly among the dishes.
Unbaked peach crisps
Crisp Topping
½ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup regular or old fashioned oatmeal
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon
⅓ cup cold butter
  Mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter till size of small peas (I use my small blender for this) Sprinkle evenly over the peaches. Place dishes on a cookie pan and bake in 325° oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with cream, milk or ice cream. We had them with ½ and ½.

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I do hope I'm not repeating myself. You mentioned that you had two older Southern Living cookbooks that had a peach crisp recipe in them. Would you mind sharing the name of those two cookbooks? I had a Southern Living cookbook back in the early to mid 1980s and unfortunately it went missing in 1995. I cannot remember the name of the book, but would love to find another copy, if possible. I am going to try your peach crisp recipe this weekend and am very excited. Thank you so much for your help. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily. They are called Southern Living Our Best Recipes, volume 1,2,3. Amazon has them listed and of course they are used books as I am sure they are out of print now. They are among our favorites. If you look on the blog, we have one we posted a photo of.
    http://iowasue.blogspot.com/2011/05/our-best-recipessouthern-living.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna. thank you so much. I will check it out.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.