Terrific Tartar Sauce


 The recipe from Cheap, Fast, Good for Tartar Sauce is like many tartar sauce recipes except that it calls for lemon. As we are having fish for supper tonight, this was a good day to try it out.
  If you have lemon juice in your freezer, use it for this recipe. Otherwise, when you squeeze that fresh lemon, save the rest of the juice in your freezer for later.
  Sue and I decided the recipe had a typo in it as it calls for a lemon slice from a half a lemon. Really didn’t make sense to me. I measured the lemon juice when I put it in and used 1 ½ teaspoons. I would suggest you taste it as you add the lemon so it is to your taste. 
  It gives it a fresh flavor that you don’t get in purchased tartar sauce and you can make just the amount you need. I am going to give you the recipe as I made it. 
Terrific Tartar Sauce
½ cup regular or reduced fat mayonnaise 
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish*
1 ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
  Place the mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Drain the pickle relish discarding the juice and add to the mayonnaise. Stir in the lemon juice a half teaspoon at a time till it suits your families taste. Serve at once or refrigerate. Will keep refrigerated for up to one week.

*If you don’t have sweet pickle relish, substitute sweet gherkins, drained and chopped.

** A opened jar of pickle relish will keep for up to 6 months in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. I like dill pickle relish in mine...good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe we use all the time with dill relish, onion, lemon juice & Dijon mustard in addition to the mayo. Haven't bought tartar sauce in years! Isn't it great to be able to make the things we use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the best part for me is that I can just make what we will eat at the time and not have to store it. Saves space and you know what is in what you make.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.