Cornmeal Yeast Bread


  This recipe won’t take the place of cornbread, but makes a nice loaf of cornmeal yeast bread. Good with soups or hot dishes, or toasted. We thought the toasted was very good.
  The bread was easy to make. I did the kneading with my KitchenAid mixer. However, I have the heavy duty mixer, you might want to use the directions to knead by hand. I like doing it with the mixer as I then leave it in the bowl for the first rise.
  I don’t have 8” bread pans, (I don't bake bread often anymore) so used one of my 9” loaf pans and made 4 dinner rolls out of the rest. Worked out well, and the rolls were eaten first, warm of course. We thought it was worth making again. I think it would be very good with chili. Fall nights and winter suppers.
Cornmeal Yeast Bread
2 packets of active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (110° to 115°)
¾ cup milk
⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup butter melted
1 egg 
¾ cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
3 ½ to 4 cups all purpose flour
  In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add the milk, sugar. Butter, egg, cornmeal and salt. Beat in 1 ½ cups of the flour until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour (I used all of it) to make a soft dough. Since there is a egg in this it will be a softer dough. On a floured board knead till smooth (about 6 minutes). Or about 5 minutes with dough hook and mixer. Place in a greased bowl and let rise covered until doubled (about 45 minutes). Grease two 8” x 4” loaf pans. Punch dough down, divide in half and shape into 2 loaves. Place in the greased pans and let rise the second time until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. (190 on instant read thermometer). Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2002

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this, does sound good for soups or a pot of beans. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting and delicious sounding recipe! Thanks for sharing, might just have to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this to go with our dinner last night. It was good. I am having it as toast for breakfast -- it does make excellent toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it Josephine. We thought it was good also. Just different enough to make it worth the bother of making.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.