Herbed Tomato Bread

This recipe was originally for a bread machine.  Since I no longer allocate room for one in my kitchen, I converted to make in my food processor.  I simply added my fresh parsley with the dry ingredients and let the processor blade chop it up.  I believe next time I will use half as much tomato paste and make up the difference with more milk or water; my husband thought this had too much tomato flavor for his taste, however, I am giving the recipe as it appeared in the "Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2002".  I used dry basil instead of tarragon, as I had some I had just dried from our garden.
Herbed Tomato Bread
  3       Cups  Bread Flour
  1       Tablespoon  Sugar
     ½   Teaspoon  Salt
  2 ¼   Teaspoons  Instant Yeast
  2       Teaspoons  Dried Onion Flakes
     ½   Tablespoon  Garlic Powder
  2       Tablespoons  Fresh Parsley -- minced
     ½   Teaspoon  Dried Tarragon
  6       Ounces  Tomato Paste
  1       Large  Egg
  2       Tablespoons  Olive Oil
     ½   Cup  plus 2 tbsps. Milk  
                        Spread
     ½   Cup  Butter
  1       Tablespoon  Minced Chives
  1       Clove  Garlic -- minced
Combine dry bread ingredients in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade.  Heat milk to 120°. 
Add egg, tomato paste and olive oil to processor. Turn on processor, and add milk slowly until absorbed and a ball forms.
Continue processing 60 seconds more.  Check to see if dough is pliable.  If so, let rest right in the processor bowl in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Turn out of bowl onto lightly floured bread board.  Shape into a loaf.  Place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Cover with wax paper sprayed with cooking spray, or a towel.
Let rise until center of dough is about 1" above rim of pan, about 30 minutes. (In a warm place).  Start preheating your oven to 350°.
Bake until loaf reaches 190-200°, about 30-35 minutes.
You can also prepare this bread in your bread machine, following the order suggested by the manufacturer on the basic setting.  Do not use the time-delay feature.
Combine spread ingredients and serve with bread.
Yields 1 1/2 pound loaf and 1/2 cup of spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.