Mocha Cinnamon Fingers


I like bar cookies – they make a lot of cookies in a hurry.  This is a real quickie – your frosting is simply melted chocolate chips.  We liked the coffee-cinnamon chocolate combination too.   
I use a cheap paper plate to measure out dry ingredients, like the flour and cinnamon in this recipe – Myrna likes waxed paper for the same purpose.  I like my covered bar cookie pan for carrying cookies like these.
Try these cookies  from "Better Homes & Gardens Cookies for Christmas"  for a nice addition to your cookie tray or to bring to work – it makes quite a few.                     
Mocha Cinnamon Fingers
  2          Teaspoons  Instant Coffee Granules
     1/2   Teaspoon  Water
     1/2   Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
  2          Cups  Flour, All-purpose
  1          Teaspoon  Cinnamon
  1          Cup  Butter
     1/2  Cup  Sugar
     1/2  Cup  Brown Sugar -- packed
  1         Large  Egg Yolk
  6        Ounces  Chocolate Chips -- 1 cup
  1        Cup  Pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
In a small bowl or custard cup, stir together the coffee, water and vanilla until coffee granules are dissolved.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour and cinnamon.
In a large mixer bowl, beat butter till softened.  Add sugars and beat until fluffy.  Add egg yolk and coffee mixture and beat well.  Gradually add flour mixture, beating till well mixed.  Press evenly into an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1" baking pan.
Bake in a 350° oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until done.  Immediately sprinkle chocolate pieces over top.  Let stand till chocolate is softened, then spread evenly.  Sprinkle with nuts.  Cut into barns while warm.  Cool.
2013 Cost:  $ 5.51 using pecans
 Yield:  "4 Dozen"
Per Serving: 100 Calories; 7g Fat (56.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

4 comments:

  1. That looks good.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe!
    I just have to tell you that I had to bake these Mokka-Zimt-Stangen (as we translate them into German) twice, after I did some conversions and finding some substitutes for ingrediences we don't get over here in rural Germany.
    They are just DELICIOUS - and I thought you should know that. Family and friends asked for the recipe and I told them that I found it on your blog.

    I hope you had a great Christmas and send best wishes for a good, peaceful and healthy 2014 all across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're glad you liked these...and that you didn't think they were too sweet.
      When we lived in Mannheim-Kaefertal, we found our German friends didn't like sweets as much as Americans do.
      Frohe Weihnachten
      Sue

      Delete
  3. No, they weren't too sweet. But I have to admit that I always use less sugar than the recipe requires.
    How interesting that you lived in Mannheim! I lived there too, but as it was a very short episode jobwise, this may not count.
    I have some family in Iowa and I treasure all the memories of my visits there. When I think of America then Iowa is the first thought that comes to my mind. So everything Iowa is special to me.
    Be sure that I will come back to you and enjoy reading your blog!

    Frohes Neues Jahr und alles Gute für 2014!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.