Cornmeal Muffins


  Leftover Ham at our house, means navy bean soup. Of course navy bean soup means cornbread. Bettie being raised in Oklahoma likes hers crusty and thin, Lyle and I are from Minnesota and like Northern cornbread, not thin and not crusty. I try to change off so everyone is happy at least part of the time.
  This recipe from The Taste of Home’s Country Cookbook was just a little different in the ingredient list, and made in muffins so I decided to try it.  The recipe calls for lemon juice and I hesitated about it, but decided it would take the place of buttermilk as they are calling for powdered milk in the recipe. It worked just fine. You could not taste it and the texture was good. More to the southern style I think, Bette liked it and Lyle and I thought it wasn’t bad. The recipe however was submitted from Iowa. All in all, a make again sometime.
Cornmeal Muffins
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
⅛ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ⅓ cup water
¼ cup melted butter
1 egg beaten
1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
  In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add water, butter, beaten egg and lemon juice; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups ⅔ full.
  Bake at 425° for 13 to 15 minutes or until brown. Cool for five minutes before removing from pan. 
1 dozen muffins (I got about 18) my muffin pans are smaller cup size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.