Old fashioned Almond Pear Cake


 This is the second of two new recipes I tried this weekend. So nice when both of them worked well. I think this cake from the Taste of Home’s Baking Favorites was a hit with my family as they ate it and asked for seconds. We did have it warm as the recipe suggested and will try it cold later tonight for a snack. At least that is what Lyle is planning.
  I had 4 pears which was just right. A cup apiece. I did dice them in larger pieces instead of slicing, as I didn’t want them to disappear. The combination of the pears with the crystalized ginger was very good. I have, for some reason, quite a bit of the ginger on hand so it was good to use some of it up.
Cooling on rack
  As you can see by the pictures, my springform pan is square. I do have a couple of round ones, but like this pan better. The sides fit into the bottom instead of the bottom into the side. Really helps to keep the batter in the pan and I don’t have to wrap it or put it on a cookie sheet. 
Side removed
  Don’t be afraid of the amount of liquid in this recipe, quite a bit of butter and eggs. Also the pears and lemon juice. It worked out just fine, even though I wondered about it. When I took it out of the oven, there was a small amount of butter on top, which disappeared quite quickly. The cake is moist, but not soggy and baked in the 35 minutes in my oven.
Old Fashioned Almond Pear Cake
4 cups sliced or diced fresh pears
¼ cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
¼ cup lemon juice
4 eggs
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
½ cup butter, milted
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup sliced almonds
  In a large bowl, combine the pears, ginger and lemon juice; set aside.
In another bowl, beat the eggs, confectioners’ sugar, butter and extract until blended. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually beat into the egg mixture until blended. Stir in by hand the pear mixture.
  Put into a greased 9 inch springform pan; sprinkle with the almonds. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan and cutting. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. This cake is just as delicious as it is good looking...thanks for the sample, Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cake. May be delicious to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.