Little Texas Cornbread (Gluten-free)

Gluten Free!

    For a different cornbread you might want to try this recipe from the Best Of Country Breads. With no flour in it I can eat cornbread again!. This is a major deal for me and everyone else liked it also. You could omit the green chiles without affecting the texture and I would do that if I were going to make it for bean soup. 
  You do have to be careful if you are celiac that you use GF cornmeal, Hodgson Mill is one Gluten Free brand and I can buy it at both of our local grocery stores. Do not use the packaged grated cheese as that is dusted with flour. Grate your own cheese and the taste is better anyway. 
  This cornbread surprised me in that it had a good structure and held together with only one cup of cornmeal to the amount of liquid in the recipe. No oddball flours needed in this which is a major plus for me as I will not stock several brands of flour to have bread I don’t like anyway. 
   I can say with confidence that we will eat this often when I want to make a hot bread to have with a meal. Even if you do not need to eat gluten free, do try this. It is a different taste for cornbread and good with casseroles or chili. So good to be able to eat cornbread again. It has always been one of my favorites.cLittle Texas Corn Bread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 eggs
1 can (8 ounces) cream style corn
1 cup sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
  In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the slightly beaten eggs, cream style corn, sour cream, oil and chilies. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.
Refrigerate any leftovers. 
*As with any GF recipe, check that all the ingredients you are using are GF free. HyVee brand cream corn is GF.

2 comments:

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.