Crispy Oven Fried Fish


  Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorites first published this recipe in 1937.
Even then, home cooks were trying to find healthy ways to cook. Instead of frying try this baked crispy fish. Just as good in 2014 as it was in 1937.
  Bettie and I are both fans of fish, though I did one piece without the flour and crumbs for myself. She thought it was excellent and the dill added a touch of flavor to the fish. I used dry bread crumbs that I had made myself from a few slices of Sue’s home made bread. I toasted them in the oven so that they were dry. All I had to do was pull these from the freezer, use what I needed and put the rest back for another time. We had enough fish left for lunch tomorrow or the next day. Always a plus.
Crispy Oven Fried Fish
1 pound fresh or frozen cod, orange roughy or catfish fillets ½ inch thick
¼ cup milk
¼ cup all purpose flour
⅓ cup fine dry bread crumbs
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ Teaspoon dried dillweed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
  Thaw fish if frozen. Grease baking sheet; set aside. Pat fish dry. Place milk in shallow dish, place flour in another shallow dish. In third dish mix crumbs, cheese, dillweed and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Toss with melted butter. Dip fish in milk, then in flour. Dip again in milk and then in crumb mixture to coat all sides. 
  Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, in 450° oven for 6 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily. I needed 20 minutes for ours as the fish was thicker. Be sure to test with a fork for doneness at the times listed. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and recipes!!!! and thanks for adding me to your roll. x

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.