Brunch Oven Omelet


  Made an excellent recipe tonight. The Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook had a recipe for a Brunch Oven Omelet. I am not very good at omelets. That is a understatement as they usually are so bad that I have given up trying to make them.
Just out of the oven
  I do believe that I have now found the answer to that problem. While I don’t know that I thought they were quite the same as an omelet, they were excellent. The recipe is for 12 servings and I cut it in half for us and we have a few pieces to heat up for breakfast tomorrow. Melting the butter in the dish in the oven was just right also. When I first took the dish out, there was a little butter standing on top, but it disappeared within a few seconds and it was not at all greasy.
  I would certainly serve this to a group of people. So easy and everyone can eat at the same time.It would be good for breakfast, or brunch.
  I left the onion out and sprinkled Swiss cheese on the top just before it came out of the oven. That was very good, and you could put anything you would put in an omelet in with the eggs. If I was going to use onion or peppers, I would saute them a little before adding just to be sure they were done. The timing and temperature were just right in my oven and they were soft and very good texture. Served with sausage links and toast it was a great supper on a cool weekend. We really enjoyed this dish. 
  Of course, having fresh farm eggs makes a difference also. Bonnie brought them down from the farm this morning.
Brunch Oven Omelet
Prep 10 min.  Total time 45 minutes  Makes 12 servings
¼ cup butter
So good
18 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
1 ½ teaspoons salt (if using salty cheese I would cut back on the salt)
4 medium chopped green onions
Chopped fresh parsley for a garnish
  Heat oven to 325°. In 13 x 9 baking dish, melt butter in oven, tilt dish to coat bottom.
  In large bowl, beat eggs, sour cream, milk and salt with fork or wire whisk until blended. Stir in onions or other add ins. Pour into pan.
  Bake in 325° for 35 minutes, till set but still moist. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese if desired. Yum!
1 serving: calories 200; Total fat 16 grams; Cholesterol 340 mg; Sodium 530 mg; Carbohydrate 3 grams 

5 comments:

  1. This one`s a keeper for our bank holiday late getting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarina, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Feel free to add cheese, vegies to it. I wouldn't add a lot as the texture of this is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would really enjoy this. I am curious, how did the leftover portions reheat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite well, I reheated them in the microwave for a minute at a time. I did set a cup of water in a microwave safe glass in the microwave at the same time to get a little steam in the oven so they wouldn't dry out. I think they would have been fine just reheating also.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.