Five Vegetable Cole Slaw


Cole Slaw has many versions, though cabbage remains the main ingredient. This recipe is taken from New Recipes From Quilt Country. I modified it some for our families taste and the ingredients I had on hand. The basic idea here is to marinate the vegetables with salt before using. The slaw is to be made a day in advance so you must allow time for this. 
The salt draws off the moisture from the vegetables making for a crisper and not watery slaw. The scaled down version I made serves 4 easily with some left over. It kept well and we had it with sandwiches the next day for lunch.
This makes a nice dressing that will please those who like a vinegar dressing and those who like a mayonnaise dressing.
Five Vegetable Slaw
4 cups shredded cabbage (shredding your own will give you fresher cabbage)
½ small onion or to taste
1 rib of celery finely sliced
¼ of a medium green pepper, sliced in fine strips
¼ of a medium red pepper, sliced in fine strips
1 medium carrot, shredded
⅛ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
¾ teaspoon salt
Dressing
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup mayonnaise
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon mustard seed
¾ to 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (I used wine vinegar)
  In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables and salt and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. The salt will draw off the moisture so there will be some liquid to drain.
  Prepare the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar, celery and mustard seeds, and vinegar; blend well. Add the dressing to the drained vegetables and cover and store in the refrigerator overnight.
If you like a very dry Cole Slaw drain again before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I stopped making cole slaw a few years ago when it seemed as tho all the cabbage was so bitter. Maybe I should try again. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to cole slaw, but I do love it! My mom used to make just shredded cabbage (done with a knife), mayo, milk & mustard. I don't think there was anything else with it. She served it with pork chops & mashed potatoes. I loved mixing it with my potatoes when I was a kid. Weird, I know. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Nadine, Guess I haven't run across any bitter cabbage yet, but that would make me stop buying it also. I do think cabbage in the fall is sweeter than that forced early in the year or shipped in from another country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved this
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it. Always nice to hear from our readers.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.