Chicken and Rice Soup

Myrna found a good cookbook, called   "Cooking from the Cupboard" at the local book sale and bought it for me.  It wasn’t quite what I expected, the author isn’t into self-sufficiency, or even a necessarily economical cook, she just wants quick, very good meals without takeout, thawing, or much fuss either.  She has a syndicated column, “Cook It Light” with 30 million readers each week.  I figured any gal who thinks an assortment of wines to cook with is essential in her pantry can’t do too much wrong.
Here’s one of the recipes I tried this week…Unlike the author, I used my own home-canned chicken and broth.   Any chicken soup depends on the quality of the broth, and I used some where I had roasted the chicken bones and vegetables before cooking and canning the broth. 
We liked the fact that I didn’t have to thaw anything, and I always have these ingredients in MY pantry.  We had a delicious lunch with a half sandwich on homemade bread and a salad with homemade salad dressing.    We enjoyed fruit for dessert.          

                          Chicken and Rice Soup
 
4             ounces  Canned Mushrooms
  28           Ounces  Chicken Broth
  9 3/4      ounces  Canned Chicken -- undrained
     1/2      cup  Rice -- uncooked
     1/4      teaspoon  Celery Seeds
  2             tablespoons  Sherry -- or Madeira wine
In a large saucepan, bring the broth and liquid from the chicken and mushrooms to a boil over medium heat.  Add the rice and celery seeds; cover and cook 15 minutes.  Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
Break the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the saucepan.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the wine.
4 Servings (about a cup each)
 

Per Serving: 225 Calories; 7g Fat (28.8% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 1142mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds simple and easy to do and very yummy which always helps I find!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.