Coconut Custard Pie



 I have been down with a head cold and today felt good. What a relief. I had been wanting to try this Coconut Custard Pie from Everyday Food a Martha Stewart Publication. 
 The recipe is intriguing in that there is no added flavoring and it calls for a can of coconut milk. I have to say that this is one of the easiest pie fillings I have made and Bettie’s boss said it was Marvelous. I kept a dish of the filling out for myself and I must say I have to agree. If you need GF foods, just put it in pretty dessert dishes and sprinkle the toasted coconut on the top before serving. 
 The comment with the recipe was that they left off any cream topping so you would taste the full coconut flavor. We agree with that, and less calories this way. When you need a pie or dessert, do try this - it's perfect for Easter.
Coconut Custard Pie
1 9 inch baked pie crust
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk (do not sub low fat here)
1 can (13 or 14 ounces) coconut milk unsweetened
4 large egg yolks
½ cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Directions
Bake your pie crust and set aside to cool.
In a medium saucepan (off the heat) whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in whole milk, making sure to dissolve cornstarch. Whisk in coconut milk and slightly beaten egg yolks.
Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Cook one minute more or until thick. Pour custard in pie shell and smooth top. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 to 4 hours, or loosely covered up to 1 day. To serve let warm to room temperature then sprinkle with coconut.

I did the filling in my double boiler and it took about ten minutes to thicken. It won’t scorch in a double boiler. 

To toast Coconut, spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350° for 5 to ten minutes.
It goes quickly at the end so keep an eye on it.

1 comment:

  1. I made this for Easter dessert and it was delicious. I was always somewhat intimidated by custards, but this recipe was quite easy. My family loved it. Keeper!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.