Make It Yourself...Measuring Dry Pasta

I don’t attempt to make many shapes of pasta, finding the dried pastas I can purchase are good quality, and conveniently store in the pantry. 
When you cook pasta, 2 ounces of dry pasta per person is what most pasta packages recommend.  What does 2 ounces of dry pasta look like? It depends on the shape. I really like to measure pasta by weighing it.  I’m always sure I have enough pasta for the recipe.  But below are amounts of dry pasta for 2 ounces of some of the common shapes if you don’t have a scale.  I tried them in several brands of measuring cups as I have an assorted lot, and the results were about the same.
If you use a lot of long pasta, I thought one of those pasta measures with holes in it would be handy if you don’t have a scale. But enough pasta to fill the 1 serving hole weighed almost 4 ounces.  However, my trusty tape measure got the same results as the chart.
Clockwise, top left: Wide noodles - 1 cup, 
bowties - 3/4 cup,
medium shells - 3/4 cup, 

campanelle - 3/4 cup, 
orzo - 1/3 cup
I admit I usually use less than 2 ounces per person, often using that amount for both my husband and myself, as we usually fill out our meals with a side salad and vegetables.  It depends on what else is added to that serving of pasta too.  Simple mac and cheese needs more pasta than a dish combining both meat and vegetables with the pasta.


MEASURING PASTA
DRY PASTA - 2-OUNCE SERVING
CUPS COOKED PASTA
Angel Hair
2-1/8 inches (circumference)
1 cup
Fettuccine
2-1/8 inches (circumference)
1 cup
Linguine
2-1/8 inches (circumference)
1 cup
Spaghetti
2-1/8 inches (circumference)
1 cup
Campanelle
3/4 cup
1-1/2 cups
Elbows
1/2 cup
1-1/8 cups
Farfalle (bow ties)
3/4 cup
1-1/4 cups
Medium Shells
3/4 cup
1-1/8 cups
Penne
2/3 cup
1-1/4 cups
Rotini
1/2 cup
1 cup
Ditalini
1/3 cup
1-1/4 cups
Orzo
1/3 cup
2/3 cup
Large Shells
7-8 shells
1-1/4 cups
Wide Curly Noodles
1 cup
1 1/2 cups

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, this is really useful as I usually just guess... for penne I usually dip my hand into the jar and bring out a handful per person, no idea what that weighs though. For rice I use a 1/4 cup measure per person which is plenty. I'm amazed that the one-hole spaghetti measure actually weighed 4 oz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this. I began a diet and have been looking high and low for a guide like this. I don't know why the makers of boxed pasta can't put a conversion table like this on the back of their boxes. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and good luck with your website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help...figuring out a serving so you don't eat too much was my incentive for making the chart.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.