Family Favorites - Creamy Thousand Island Dressing


My favorite dressing for salads is Thousand Island. The bottled dressings you can buy just are not as good as I remember from years ago. I am always on the lookout for a recipe and have tried several. 
  This recipe from The Farm Journal Country Cookbook looked closer to what I remembered eating and so decided to try it. I must say, this is marvelous! Just what I remembered eating, easy to make and really, really good.
  My daughter and grandson were here when I was making it, and I had a hard time stopping them from sampling it before I could get it in the refrigerator to chill. They are not fans of Thousand Island so I was really surprised at their reaction. 
  The dressing is fairly thick and we thought it would make a great dip. Tried it with celery and chips and I think that I will have to start keeping this on hand. This is so good and so easy, that I hope some of you will try it for yourselves.
Creamy Thousand Island Dressing
½ cup salad dressing (I used Miracle Whip)
½ cup chili sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon paprika (I omitted this)
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons pickle relish ( I used sweet)
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento olives
1 teaspoon minced onion
1 hard cooked egg chopped
½ cup dairy sour cream
   Combine salad dressing, chili sauce Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt and paprika in 1 qt. Bowl. Stir in celery, relish, olives, onion and egg; mix well. Fold in sour cream. Chill. Makes one pint. Will keep for one month if tightly capped and refrigerated.

6 comments:

  1. This recipe looks marvelous and I shall make it soon, since I usually have all these ingredients on hand. Thousand Island is my husband's favorite salad dressing. I look forward to reading your blog posts and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna, we really liked it. It is one of my favorites. The only problem is now I don't want the store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious! I've been searching for a 1000 Island recipe that wasn't too vinegary and this is it. Thank you very much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, I am so glad you liked it. It is my favorite dressing and this tastes so much better than the bottled stuff from the store, just like I remember growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across you blog awhile back and am really enjoying reading your posts. I love the recipes you share and plan to start making some of them. This dressing will be one of the first on the list! I too am from Iowa and am enjoying the pictures you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment Rhonda, always nice to hear from our readers. Hope you like it.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.