Chile Garlic Green Cabbage


  For our vegetable tonight, I used up the cabbage I had in the refrigerator. Once again using the Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2014 issue for the recipe.   We thought it was quite good, made a nice change of pace and was quick to fix. All things considered this is a side I will fix again. Cabbage is usually quite inexpensive and we like cole slaw, but you can only eat so much of that as a side. I made half of the recipe and it was a great plenty for three of us. Bettie will take the serving that is left for lunch tomorrow. Served with baked potatoes and homemade chicken strips that was a easy supper. The potatoes and chicken strips baked in the oven leaving me free to make the cabbage dish.
Chile Garlic Green Cabbage 
Combine 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, 4 teaspoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons fish sauce and 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (I used chinese red chile sauce)* in a small bowl.
 Heat 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat; Add 8 cups of sliced green cabbage to pan, cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in brown sugar mixture; cook 4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Stir in ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaves if desired.
 *Since I did not have the sambal oelek, I add a pinch of powdered garlic with the sauce. You could add some minced fresh garlic also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.