Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes


   This recipe was fast, I had all the ingredients, and it looked as good as it tasted.  I had bacon from Don’s last hog, so we really enjoyed that smokey taste.  I didn’t bother to peel my small red potatoes; I cooked them the day before for another meal; made enough for this recipe and simply sliced them with the peels on.  The second time I made this I substituted sour cream I wanted to use up for the mayonnaise; it was just as good.  Be sure your mayo or sour cream are full-fat for this to work well.               
                       Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes
  6         slices  Bacon -- diced
  1         tablespoon  Drippings
  1         medium  Onion -- chopped
  4         cups  Potatoes -- cooked, peeled, sliced
     ½     teaspoon  Salt
  10       ounces  Frozen Peas -- thawed and drained
  8         ounces  Sharp Cheddar Cheese -- shredded, divided
     ½     cup  Mayonnaise
     ½     cup  Milk
Cook bacon until crisp.  Drain, reserving drippings. 
In the drippings, sauté onion until tender.  Layer with the potatoes, salt, peas and 1/2 of the cheese and the bacon.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes until heated through.
Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
6 Servings

  "The Best of Country Cooking 2002”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.