From the Garden...Cole Slaw to Freeze

I suppose it was the 1970’s when a coworker shared her recipe for freezer cole slaw with me.  What a revelation; nice crisp cole slaw from your freezer any time!  Much healthier with a sandwich than chips.  I try to never run out.  We like this recipe from "The Practical Produce Cook Book".   This is one reliable way to preserve cabbage besides sauerkraut.
I put mine up in ½ pints so my husband and I can share a jar with a meal with no leftovers.  It also freezes well in freezer bags flat, but I put them in a pan until they are frozen to prevent any liquid seeping out into my freezer.  The 8 cups of cabbage is about 1 nice-sized head.  After you cut out the core, about 2 pounds will shred into 8 cups.  I use my food processor to speed this up and save my knuckles.  I also rinse off the salt and let the cabbage drain again before adding the dressing, otherwise it is too salty for us.  When you are using white vinegar in this kind of recipe, check the label for “natural” vinegar.  It’s worth the extra expense.
                           Cole Slaw to Freeze
  8        cups  cabbage – shredded
  1        each  carrot – grated (I use 2)
  2        tablespoons  salt
  2        cups  sugar
  1        cup  vinegar
     ¼     cup  water
  1         teaspoon  celery seed
  1         teaspoon  mustard seed -- optional
Mix cabbage, carrot and salt.  Let set 1 hour, and then drain well.  (I rinse and drain mine.)  Combine remaining ingredients and bring to boil.   Boil 1 minute.  Cool.  Stir into cabbage.
Let set 1/2 hour.  Mix well then put into freezer containers.  I leave about ½” headspace for expansion.
   "8 half pints or 4 pints or 2 quarts"

5 comments:

  1. This Is Awesome! Didn't know a person could freeze coleslaw. Thank you.
    Sure will save in the long run from having not to mix up every time a person wants slaw for a meal.
    It's just me and hubby so the 1/2 pints will be perfect for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote Jackie and asked this year before last and still have not frozen any slaw. Of course, the fact my freezer tore up is one good reason I didn't. She did not specify a recipe, saying mine with Miracle Whip would work. If I ever get the turkey out and canned, I can use the freezer over the refrigerator for frozen cole slaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this recipe if you get a chance...miracle whip might separate when freezing.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Sue, Miracle Whip and Salad Dressings tend to separate when frozen. You could add to the cole slaw after it is thawed if your family likes it.

      Delete
    3. I just checked with Kraft and they do not recommend freezing anything with Miracle Whip as an ingredient. Salads, sandwiches, etc.
      Said it would separate and get weepy, hope this information helps you decide what do try. This information was directly from a person not just their web site.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.