Cookbook Reviews...Southern Living Big Book of Christmas Baking

The Southern Living Big Book of Christmas Baking was published in 1996.  I picked it up at the Big book sale in Des Moines last year, and was drawn in by the beautiful photos.  But I know that Southern Living recipes are always good, and always work…a big plus for me.  I hate, hate, hate to waste my time and expensive ingredients on a recipe that isn’t edible, or is even just fair.  I like cook books by folks who have good test kitchens.
This cook book isn’t a disappointment.  It’s 160 pages are full of cookies, beautiful reputation cakes, pies, Christmas breads, snacks, casseroles for family and holiday buffets, and gifts too.
I like to take along a loaf of homemade bread and some jam or preserves as a hostess gift over the holidays – everyone has so many sweets already.  This book had a whole chapter to choose from!  We had a hard time choosing just a week’s worth of recipes to share.  Well, maybe we'll revisit next year! 

Ricotta Cheesecake

Turkey Noodle Poppy Seed Casserole

Spicy Molasses Cookies

Tavern Bread

Crunchy Potato Bites

4 comments:

  1. On your recommendation, I'm going to go look on Amazon or possibly eBay to see if I might find a copy of this book. Each year around this time I say I must find some new (hopefully delicious) holiday treats to make. (I'm so tired of all the old ones but whenever the family hears me say I want to make some new ones, there is a mini-revolt because "it wouldn't be the holiday season without the traditional ones" I've been making for 102 years!) We'll see if I can't sneak in a new one that will be so good it, too, will become a welcomed "tradition." ;o}

    I'm like you in that I think a homemade loaf of bread is a better hostess gift than another sweet. Who won't always use a loaf of homemade bread??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hear you. Everyone here want date filled cookies which are a pain to make but I have made them since the kids were very small.This does have some good cookie recipes and we both tend to favor any of the Southern Living Cookbooks. Their recipes work! How is your snow doing. Loved the pictures of the ducks as long as I can just look at them.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Myrna - I love that you said the date filled cookies are "a pain to make!" Why is that so of the favorites that everyone insists you HAVE to make?! :o]

      I found Southern Living Big Book of Christmas Baking very reasonably priced on Amazon. My dear husband is always pestering me for gift ideas for Christmas so I told him I'd like a copy. Hopefully, it will be under the tree!

      Our snow is going what with all the above freezing temps and the predicted rain we're to get will do it all in, I'm sure. Just not normal November weather for us.

      Our ducks and geese (chickens, too) are all fine and still going out and about each day. Don't know how they will react with deeper snow. We shall see!

      Delete
    3. Glad you found the book I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.