From the Garden...Celery Casserole


  I found this dish in a booklet I picked up at our local book sale…"Pillsbury  Come for Dinner 1984 .  I like celery as a vegetable, not just a seasoning, and I had all the ingredients, so we enjoyed it for lunch today.  I prepared it, slid it in the oven, and had plenty of time to get some pork chops ready to go with it, with some mandarin oranges for dessert.  I used Emmentaler for the Swiss cheese because I keep it on hand in the freezer to make Spätzle with  cheese, and it melts very nicely.  I made the bread crumbs from a couple of slices of bread in my little food processor.
To keep your celery a lot longer, keep it wrapped tightly in foil and refrigerated in your crisper drawer.
My husband thought it was great, creamy and crunchy with a nicely flavored topping.                

                             Celery Casserole
  3          cups  Celery -- sliced
  4          tablespoons  Almonds -- slivered
  8          ounces  Water Chestnuts, Canned -- sliced, drained
  4 1/2   ounces  Canned Mushroom Slices -- drained
  2          tablespoons  Butter
  2          tablespoons  Flour
  1          teaspoon  Chicken Bouillon
  1 1/2   cups  Milk
  2          ounces  Swiss Cheese -- shredded
                        Topping
     2/3   cup  Soft Bread Crumbs
  2          tablespoons  Butter -- melted
  3          tablespoons  Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Heat oven to 350°.  Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole.  In a medium saucepan, cook celery in boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, drain.
Combine celery, almonds, water chestnuts and mushrooms; spoon into prepared casserole.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter, blend in flour and bouillon; cook until smooth and bubbly.  Gradually add milk, cook until mixture boils and thickens; stirring constantly.  Stir in Swiss cheese.  Pour evenly over celery mixture, stirring gently.
In a small bowl, combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown and bubbly.

Six 1/2 cup servings.

Double recipe for a 13 x 9" baking dish.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! Thank you! My mouth is watering just thinking about this! I love celery, celery soup, etc! Can't wait to try it! Just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. An inexpensive side dish too -- celery is usually very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great way to use up that celery before it passes it's prime...creamy but crunchy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.