Corn and Rice Chowder


Bacon is the flavor boost in this different but delicious corn chowder.   The second time I made this I used cooked rice I had leftover and frozen…even quicker!  I used plain corn and some diced garden red and green peppers I had in the freezer.
I could envision using browned chopped ham instead of bacon, and perhaps adding a little American cheese for a different soup, perhaps with some cumin instead of thyme.  I found this recipe in a March, 1993 Pillsbury booklet Pasta, Rice and Beans.
We enjoyed this with Date Muffins and a chopped salad.

Corn and Rice Chowder
  4        Slices  Bacon -- cut up
     ½    Cup  Onion -- chopped
     ½    Cup  Celery -- sliced
  3        Tablespoons  Flour
  3        Cups  Milk
  2        Cups  Corn With Red and Green Peppers -- canned or frozen (thawed slightly)
     ½    Cup  Rice – uncooked (or 1 ½ cups cooked)
            Salt and Pepper -- to taste
     ¼    Teaspoon  Dried Thyme
Cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve on tablespoon drippings in pan; add onion and celery and cook until crisp-tender.
Stir in flour; cook until bubbly.  Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.  Add vegetables, rice, and seasonings.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until rice is tender.  Crumble bacon and stir into chowder; heat thoroughly.
**If using already cooked rice, simmer 7-10 minutes until heated thoroughly.

  4 servings      "1 Quart"

2 comments:

  1. This looks easy and delicious, plus all those healthy vegetables! Thanks for your blog - so interesting and I love the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my goodness. I had most of the ingredients for this chowder in the house, half an onion, a couple of sorry sticks of celery, half a pepper, etc. No bacon, but did have a small ham steak and some leftover cooked rice. This is so good! I am really trying to use up what I have in the house, and this recipe was perfect today. I have lunches for the rest of the week with what I already had. We like things in the spicy side here in AZ so I added extra black pepper and a few dots of sriracha sauce, along with a cup of sharp cheddar shredded cheese. I am bringing some of this over to my daughter who is recovering from surgery for her lunch today.Thank you so much for the recipe! Kate

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.