Monterey Chicken and Pasta

I don’t usually have purchased cream soups on hand, so I like casseroles that use anything else for the sauce!  This is an easy, delicious recipe from Taste of Home that used what I had on hand.  I used home canned chicken, drained, for the meat; any cooked poultry or even ham or cooked pork would work.  Same goes for the pasta – use what you have that your family likes, including broken-up spaghetti, macaroni elbows or noodles.  You can use any melty cheese, (leaving out the Parmesan), including American or Swiss for a different flavor, and you can add a different vegetable too, although this is a take on the ubiquitous green bean and French fried onion casserole turned into a main dish.                   
Serve with a crispy tossed salad and you’re ready.

Monterey Chicken and Pasta
  4             ounces  rotini -- dry
  1             egg, beaten
  1             cup  sour cream -- (8 ounces)
  2             tablespoons  grated Parmesan cheese
     1/4       teaspoon  garlic powder
1                                cup  shredded Monterey Jack cheese -- (4 ounces)
  2             cups cooked chicken, diced in ¾” pieces (I used 1 pint canned)
  10 oz.     package  frozen green beans -- or 1 pint canned, drained
  1             can  french-fried onions -- (2.8 ounces) divided
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg.   Add sour cream, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture with Monterey Jack cheese, chicken, green beans and half of the onions. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated though. Top with remaining onions; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.

Yield: 6 Servings

3 comments:

  1. I don't buy condensed soups anymore either; here's a link to what I make http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/make-your-own-condensed-cream-of-mushroom-soup-in-less-than-5-minutes She also has recipes for Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken, but I use basically the same recipe and just change what I add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info...I often make something similar without the blender (I don't have one!)

      Delete
  2. Although I grew up on the stuff, I don't like commercial cream-of-XYZ soups anymore, either. But that recipe you linked is pretty amazing, Rozy Lass. I've never seen an easier, faster homemade version!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.