Monterey Chicken and Pasta

I don’t usually have purchased cream soups on hand, so I like casseroles that use anything else for the sauce!  This is an easy, delicious recipe from Taste of Home that used what I had on hand.  I used home canned chicken, drained, for the meat; any cooked poultry or even ham or cooked pork would work.  Same goes for the pasta – use what you have that your family likes, including broken-up spaghetti, macaroni elbows or noodles.  You can use any melty cheese, (leaving out the Parmesan), including American or Swiss for a different flavor, and you can add a different vegetable too, although this is a take on the ubiquitous green bean and French fried onion casserole turned into a main dish.                   
Serve with a crispy tossed salad and you’re ready.

Monterey Chicken and Pasta
  4             ounces  rotini -- dry
  1             egg, beaten
  1             cup  sour cream -- (8 ounces)
  2             tablespoons  grated Parmesan cheese
     1/4       teaspoon  garlic powder
1                                cup  shredded Monterey Jack cheese -- (4 ounces)
  2             cups cooked chicken, diced in ¾” pieces (I used 1 pint canned)
  10 oz.     package  frozen green beans -- or 1 pint canned, drained
  1             can  french-fried onions -- (2.8 ounces) divided
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg.   Add sour cream, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture with Monterey Jack cheese, chicken, green beans and half of the onions. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated though. Top with remaining onions; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.

Yield: 6 Servings

3 comments:

  1. I don't buy condensed soups anymore either; here's a link to what I make http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/make-your-own-condensed-cream-of-mushroom-soup-in-less-than-5-minutes She also has recipes for Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken, but I use basically the same recipe and just change what I add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info...I often make something similar without the blender (I don't have one!)

      Delete
  2. Although I grew up on the stuff, I don't like commercial cream-of-XYZ soups anymore, either. But that recipe you linked is pretty amazing, Rozy Lass. I've never seen an easier, faster homemade version!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.