Family Favorites...Crisp Oat Pecan Cookies


  I wanted to make some cookies today, and did not want to go to the store, so the recipe had to be something I had in the pantry.
 This recipe in the Taste of Home Winning Recipes was for a cookie mix in a jar. Those are not my favorite type of mixes but the recipe looked interesting. I made it up using their ingredients and normal cookie directions and they are very good. 
  The recipe mix just made one batch of cookies so I wouldn’t bother to make a mix out of it. Do give it a try though as you will never have anyone guess that there are Rice Krispies in the dough. The cookies are light and crisp and crunchy. Just hit the spot and everyone said to make them again, so will keep them in my list of cookie recipes we like.
 Here is my adaptation of Oat Pecan Cookies.
Crisp Oat Pecan Cookies
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup old fashioned or regular oats (not instant)
1 cup crisp rice cereal
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup softened butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  Mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda, oats, rice cereal and pecans in small bowl; set aside.
  Beat butter till soft, add sugars and beat till light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually add the the dry ingredients to the butter, egg mixture. Blend till combined.
  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on greased or parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake in 350°F. Oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake as they will be hard. They should be brown and look slightly damp. 
  Leave cookies on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then cool cookies on wire racks.
To use as a mix in a jar
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. In a 1 quart jar layer the flour mixture, brown sugar, oats, pecans and rice cereal. Packing well between each layer. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. 

To make cookies, cream the butter beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add cookie mix until well combined. Bake as above.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, these were DELICIOUS--so glad I made them! The rice cereal is a great addition.

    I decided to make my batch gluten-free! The flour was Bob's 1 for 1, the oatmeal was Quaker Quick 1-Minute (not instant), and the rice cereal was a "natural" brand GF brown rice cereal. If you have a nut-averse or allergic person in the house, you can substitute 2 tablespoons golden ground flaxseed for 1/4 cup of nuts. The ground flax adds fiber, Omega-3's, and a light nutty flavor.

    Now I am not gluten-free by necessity; I try to eat gluten-free by preference now that I'm older. Any sort of wheat flour product (ESPECIALLY bagels!) before noon will give me stomach pains. Any wheat products in the afternoon don't hurt my stomach, but make me bloat terribly. Go figure--I sure can't. So I try to stay away from wheat, but since it doesn't endanger my life, I can be less vigilant, if I am willing to pay the price.

    Sorry for the novel; suffice it to say that making these cookies gluten-free takes nothing away from them. No one will EVER KNOW they are gluten-free!

    Next time, I am definitely adding miniature chocolate chips! I think regular chips would be too big because the cookie is pretty flat and a bit delicate. Same for raisins--I would use currants instead of regular golden or dark.

    Myrna: could you possible list the layers of ingredients for the cookie-mix-in-a-jar version of this? I'd like the option of giving this as gifts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I will have to find the original recipe but if I can I will list them for you. Have you tried Kellog's GF Rice Krispies yet. We like them better than the regular ones. Glad you liked the cookies.

      Delete
    2. Sue, Found the recipe and added it to the bottom of the original post. Should make a nice gift.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.