Lime Meringue Pie


Made a Lime Meringue pie today using a recipe from my Kitchen Aid Mixer book. I have made a lime meringue pie before but this was so much simpler and turned out very well. Two larger limes gave me enough juice and I used my recipe for Meringue already posted here. The meringue calls for one more egg white than the filling did for egg yolks so I will save the extra yolk and fix it for breakfast in some scrambled eggs.
 Bettie and Lyle both enjoyed the pie and I saved some of the filling for myself a small dish. Sadly no pie crust for Celiac sufferers. This is really an easy pie to make so if you have a couple of limes do give it a try. Remember that it will not be very green unless you add food coloring to the filling as lime juice is only faintly green.
Lime Meringue Pie
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup lime juice
½ cup cold water
3 eggs separated (save whites for meringue)
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 teaspoon grated fresh lime peel
Green food coloring (optional)
 Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2 quart saucepan. Add lime juice, water and egg yolks; blend well. Add butter and gradually add the boiling water (too fast will cook the egg yolks). 
 Bring mixture to a boil and then cook on medium heat until thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cool for a few minutes and pour into a 9 inch baked pie crust.


 Make meringue using your egg whites and your favorite recipe or try the recipe for meringue for pie that I use. Cool completely before serving.

2 comments:

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.