Pie Crusts for the Freezer


I want to share my go-to pie crust when I don't have time to make our favorite crust recipe from Farm Journal.  I have used this recipe since the early 80’s to simplify pie-making.  When I was working full-time, I still liked to bake, but found I wanted to speed up the process.  We just didn’t like the results or expense of refrigerated crusts, and this recipe has been a life-saver. 
I especially like to make a batch before the holiday rush, so I don’t have any excuses not to make a pie, whether it’s a dessert pie, a quiche or pot pie.  I also use this recipe for individual pie crusts and turnovers; sometimes putting up part of the dough in 3-3 ½ ounce patties.  A scale is very handy for making this recipe. 
There are recipes like this that use a whole can of shortening and a 5 pound bag of flour; I think they are too greasy.  If you make this in the larger size recipe, use a dishpan and your hands.  Try the smaller size recipe to see how good they are.                    
Pie Crusts for the Freezer
5 Regular or 4 Large Crusts 
20 Regular or 16 Large Crusts
     3/4         pound  shortening
  3             pounds  shortening
  1 1/2         pounds  flour, all-purpose
  6             pounds  flour, all-purpose
  1                cup  ice water
  4               cups  ice water
  1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
  2        tablespoons  salt
2011 Cost:  $1.76 - 36¢ per 9 ounce crust
2011 Cost:  $7.03 -36¢ per 9   ounce crust
Mix in a very large bowl or pan. Mix flour, salt and shortening together with large rubber scraper and pastry fork or pastry blender until the size of peas. Add ice water a quarter at a time and toss together with a fork or your hands until blended, do not overmix.  Wrap individually in freezer paper, plastic wrap or waxed paper and freeze in a large zip-type freezer bag. (Be sure to mark you packages with the size and date).

Make into 3 oz. patties for use in 5" pie plates or for turnovers.
Make into 9 oz. patties for 9" top crusts or regular 9" bottom crusts
Make into 11 ounce patties for Deep Dish or 10" bottom crusts

When you want to make a pie crust, defrost number of desired crust 'patties' on the counter 30 min or so, or in the fridge overnight. Roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper or on a lightly floured surface and proceed with your recipe.

These will keep for at least a year in the freezer, although mine never last that long!. There is something about freezing this dough that makes it so easy to roll out. I use this for dessert pies as well as quiches and savory pies. It turns out perfectly every time.

2 comments:

  1. what do you use for shortening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Crisco, Myrna's favorite...I have also used unhydrogenated lard, my favorite, with good results. I get my lard fom Western Smokehouse, in Missouri...they make jerky and similar snacks, and the lard is a byproduct.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.