Divinity


 My husband loves divinity – we have made it occasionally over the years, but when Myrna and I were young, we often made candy for the holidays from our Mom’s “Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book 1946" that I still have.  I like a heavy-bottomed 3 quart straight-sided pan for cooking the syrup.
I don’t have any “in-process” photos – making divinity is not the time for picture-taking – it takes all my concentration to try to get it right!  However, I love the advantage of making it in my Kitchenaid – not by hand with a slotted spoon or a hand rotary egg beater as this recipe originally recommended.
This is a simple recipe – I hadn’t ever tried it spread in a pan and I think that I will try that next time, as it would take less time to get it ready.

Divinity
  2           Cups  Sugar
     2/3    Cup  White Corn Syrup
     1/2    Cup  Water
  2           Large  Egg Whites -- stiffly beaten
  1           Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
  1           Cup  Pecans -- or walnuts, broken

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water; stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.  Cook to a light crack stage (270°).
Slowly pour over stiffly beaten egg whites, beating constantly.
Add vanilla extract.  Beat until mixture holds its shape.  Add nut meats.
Drop from a teaspoon onto a greased pan or waxed paper.  If desired, spread in greased pan; cool and cut in squares.
Yield:  "3 Dozen"

Per Serving: 64 Calories; 2g Fat (27.3% calories from fat); trace Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

4 comments:

  1. I have never had divinity, or anything like it. What is the consistency? Chewy? Melt in your mouth crunchy, like meringues? I love your little snowmen, upper right. I used to make a similar "doll" for my daughter, forty years ago, they were called BubbyChubs from the pattern/instructions I used. A blast from the past seeing yours. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the snowmen the pattern directions are there. I have not seen the dolls and will now look for that pattern as I have a new great grandaughter who will turn 1 year old in Feb. She would love one. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. The texture is thicker than meringues...creamy, but light too...hard to explain, but delicious.

      Delete
    3. Creamy to bite into, but not heavy like fudge, does that make sense? More of a candy texture not a meringue texture. As Sue says, hard to explain but so good.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.