Family Favorites...Graham Crackers


Unbaked, Cooling,, Ready to Eat
 After seeing some recipes on the internet for Graham
Crackers, I thought I might try some.
  Most of the recipes I was looking at did not call for graham flour which I felt was strange so instead I went to my cookbooks to look for a recipe. The Fannie Farmer Baking cookbook had a recipe with illustrations that looked easy to follow. 
 I did not have much luck turning the large piece of dough they were saying to use half way through baking, so I cut the crackers in a two square section and that worked well. They were good tasting and crisp. Turning them over during baking I think is the key to having crisp crackers. I do think they needed some molasses added instead of so much honey so will try that the next time I make them. Save and bake the scraps of dough and you can crush them for graham cracker crumbs. 
  As the rest said, you can buy these at the store but they were fun to make and not much harder than making rolled cookies.
 Graham Crackers
4 tablespoons (½ stick or ¼ cup) butter softened
1 egg well beaten
6 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons water 
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups graham flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
 Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine the butter, egg, and sugar in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in the honey and blend. Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to the butter mixture and blend thoroughly. 
 Add the salt, graham flour and all purpose flour to the mixture and blend well. The dough should hold together and be manageable. If it is too tacky add a little graham flour.
 Divide the dough into three sections and dust a surface with graham flour and roll the dough to about ⅛ inch thick. Keep the sections you are not working with covered with wax paper, or plastic wrap. With a knife, score the dough without cutting through into 2 ½ inch squares. Prick each square a few times with the tines of a fork. Cut into two square pieces and using a spatula, place sections on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake on the first side for 8 minutes, then turn the crackers over and bake for another 6 to 7 minutes. Cool on wire racks.



Cinnamon Graham Crackers: Sub 4 tablespoons sugar for the honey and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 comments:

  1. Graham crackers are one of my favorites. A simple slightly sweet snack to curb my urge for a piece of pie. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a piece of pie. But, try to watch a lot of sugar. Does not always work. But, something must be better. Because last week, the Dr. office called and for the 1st time in 30 years my blood work was normal. WooHoo! May never be that again, but at least I can say it was good once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well good for you, you must be doing something right. Doesn't it feel great when you get a good Dr report. Graham crackers have always been a favorite snack of mine also. Mom and Grandma always had them in the house and we ate them as a treat instead of a cookie.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.