Orange Chicken and Rice

 
The orange colored rice is from the orange juice and curry powder
A recipe from Polly Clingerman’s Dinner Companion  that we are all fond of it this recipe for Orange Chicken. The chicken is good, but the rice is really the star of this recipe. Bettie who really doesn’t like rice ate two helpings of it and asked to have it again. Easy, no need to brown the chicken, it cooks with the rice for a truly good meal.
Don’t let the curry spice scare you off, it just adds a warm flavor and color to the rice and chicken. This is a fast, tasty meal whether you are in a hurry or not. She suggests you could add nuts and raisins to the rice mixture before cooking. Haven’t tried that yet, if I do I will use golden raisins. 
Orange Chicken and Rice
Prep Time: 5 minutes   Cooking Time 25 minutes
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
1 ¼  teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
1 ½ cups orange juice (fresh squeezed if you have oranges)
1 cup raw rice
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Chopped parsley makes a nice garnish
 In a small bowl combine curry powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over chicken pieces and rub in well. Set aside. In a 10 inch skillet combine the orange juice, rice, water, brown sugar, dry mustard, ¾ teaspoon salt and butter. Mix well. Place the seasoned chicken pieces on top of the rice in skillet and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. If there is still a small amount of liquid left return to heat and cook till it is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! We love Orange Chicken but I haven't found a good recipe. I will add red bell pepper to ours and serve over brown rice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from one of the cookbooks I use a lot. If you ever see one, you might want to consider buying it. I ordered mine from Amazon as I had found a small softbound pie cookbook of hers that I use a lot. The Dinner Companion has a lot of hints and substitutes with most recipes. I am not real found of orange chicken but like this and the others think it is very good.

      Delete
    2. This is not a sticky chicken sauce as most of the juice is absorbed in the rice. I wanted you to know that before you tried the recipe. It is a great flavored chicken but might not be what you are expecting as it is not like the sticky orange chicken in Chinese American Restaurants.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Myrna! We are only familiar with the brand of frozen Orange Chicken from a company that supplies Sam's Club. It's more a stir-fry. The last time we got it...a year or more ago?...the company had changed it a bit & we didn't like it anymore. I will maybe chicken out and not use the full amount of curry pwdr bcz I don't like curry. Funny thing is, I had just given my daughter my jar of powder bcz I doubted I'd use it. Then I saw this recipe. LOL

    We did try Orange Chicken at a place my physical therapist said was good, but we didn't like that either.

    I'll let you know what we think. I just need to get some orange juice. Might make this tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry is one of the spices I think you have to get used to, starting with a small amount makes a lot of sense to me. Do let us know how you like it. I took some chicken thighs out to fix this tonight after seeing it again, sometimes we fix so many different recipes that I don't always get back to the ones we really liked.

      Delete
  3. Not a fan. Sorry. Going to try to use the chicken from it another way. I should have lnown with the curry.

    Will try this one some other time. If it isn't to our liking, I will give up. Lol

    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/orange-chicken-2495688

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine, I wondered about the curry as it is a stronger spice. We all like it, but this is really not a sticky sweet orange chicken. Hopefully you salvaged the chicken. Can't win the all.

      Delete
  4. I only used 1/4 tsp curry. I'm not sure what you mean by "sticky" as we don't consider what we like to be that.

    I rinsed the chicken & simmered it in bbq sauce for sandwiches for hubby. Dumped the rice. Used the raisins & red pepper for my salad yesterday. All is well.

    It's not often I make something neither of us likes. Lol

    Don't know unless we try!

    I use a lot of your recipes & pass some along. Inevitable that there would eventually be a miss.

    Thanks for all the work you put in to share info & recipes for all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.