Do You Remember...A Shoe Story

When I was about six, I was deemed by my parents old enough to take on more responsibility at home.  That chore was to be done on Saturday mornings – to sweep and scrub the floors of our bedroom closets – one that belonged to my parents and one that was shared by me and my 2 sisters. After that was completed, the family shoes were to be polished in preparation for church on Sunday. Then everything was to be replaced neatly in the closet.
Neither closet was big at all – but there were “shoe shelves” on each end of each one. Our shoes consisted of a pair of “good shoes” and a pair of everyday shoes apiece.  After polishing each pair of shoes, they were carried to one of my parents for inspection before being returned to the closet.
Does anyone still polish their shoes that faithfully?? Does anyone’s mom think that the closet floors need to be washed every week? Are our children expected to contribute to the family welfare at an early age anymore? Do people still have only 2 pairs of shoes and take such meticulous care of them? Is dressing up for church or school considered a sign of respect anymore?
My folks were children of the Great Depression and fully appreciated how hard it was to earn the money for shoes. No one had even heard of a credit card – you didn’t get shoes until you had the hard cash to pay for them. Many children went with only Sunday shoes all summer – barefoot was the order of those long Summer days. Our shoes had to last until school was out, no matter how worn out, and school shoes weren’t purchased again until Fall.
I know that this mundane chore taught me more than one thing. I learned to be responsible for my own work; I was expected to perform this duty without constant reminders or nagging. I learned to get the job done without dawdling – no lunch until the job was done. I learned to meet high standards of workmanship – if the polish job didn’t meet with approval, I had to do it over. I learned that you were expected to take care of hard-earned possessions. I learned that cleanliness was next to Godliness – no “round corners” on my scrubbing job, the baseboards and shelves had to be cleaned, everything had to be returned neatly to its place.
I wonder if we are teaching our own children the rewards of independence, good workmanship, responsibility, and the satisfaction of a job well done? We weren’t lavishly praised for doing our share for our family; we were taught that it was expected as our contribution.  I've been very thankful over the years that my mom and dad cared enough to prepare us for "real life".

11 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love your Saturday and Sunday posts. I really look forward to them. Yes, I was expected to manage chores about the house from an early age. Before I was 10 I had to light the fire every tea time, wash the dishes and I could prepare and make a meal when I was 9 years old. As for cleaning I cannot remember a time when I did not help, I do not think we are helping children if we do not teach them independence and the work ethic. This is from England but I bet the same things happen over there and we end up with 'snowflake children' too precious to do anything, and it is our fault. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andie. We're glad you're with us from England. I now know folks who think that expecting children to do a few chores is "abuse"! Raising snowflakes indeed. Our parents and grandparents would be horrified.

      Delete
  2. My brothers and I certainly had more than enough chores assigned to all of us but shining shoes was not among them. We did have the "luxury" of 3 pairs of shoes, because we needed sneakers (or "tennies" as we called them then) for gym class. The other pairs were school shoes (ugly brown oxfords for me) and Sunday shoes (another pair of ugly brown oxfords, just not as scuffed/worn as the school pair).

    (Oh, how I longed for a pair of saddle shoes or moccasins, or a pair of black patent Mary Janes for Sundays. But my mother vetoed them and said they weren't supportive enough. I do remember the brown oxfords were only $10/pair, so I suspect it was much more a matter of economics than foot support.)

    My husband's family did take weekly shoe shining very seriously, and my husband is the proud owner of his grandfather's fancy shoe shining kit. But my husband no longer polishes his dress shoes; he travels a lot for business and says you simply cannot beat an airport shoeshine. Those men are hard-core professionals and can make any leather shoe look brand new.

    And as for scrubbing closet floors weekly? Nope, not here. They certainly got swept or vacuumed weekly, but not washed.

    I, too, was making family meals from an early age--middle school, in fact. I'd get off the bus at 4pm and would have instructions from Mom on what to make and when to have it ready. I didn't mind too much, because I liked cooking. It was fun to tweak the recipes and try to improve the flavors.

    I thought I was an absolute genius the day I came up with the idea to salt/pepper the flour that I rolled fresh smelt in before frying. Of course I did not know that was not a new idea in the world of cooking--but it was new to me because my mom never did and her fish always tasted very flat. Mine tasted so much better! :^)

    My goodness, I'm practically writing a book here! Sorry, but your Saturday questions just bring up those memories like high tide washing over the sand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must live or have lived on Lake Superior if you fixed Smelt. I lived there for a few years when I was first married, sure miss the Smelt. Kids nowadays miss out on so many things.

      Delete
  3. I'm like Andie and remember doing household chores when young. An early memory is standing on a stool to help with the washing up (no dishwashers in those days!). My mother was a nurse who worked nightshift and sometimes, if dad wasn't home from work in time to take over childcare, I had to get his meal ready. I had a neighbour with a 12 year old son who was not even allowed to use a kettle to make a hot drink! How ridiculous was that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lake Michigan! My brothers would catch and clean them, and I would cook them! They were SO delicious, weren't they? Crunchy on the outside, with moist and tender flesh. Long and slender--they were basically headless fish sticks! :^) :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, yeah. So good. I can't get them here in southern Iowa but gosh I sure would enjoy some again. I think they must not ship well or everyone eats them and there isn't any left to ship. I know they had big smelt fries when we lived there and my in-laws cleaned them for the volunteer fire dept. by the buckets.

      Delete
  5. I was born in the mid 50s and absolutely remember shoe-polishing as a weekly chore. My father was a pipe fitter [blue collar job] and obviously wore work shoes/boots most of the time. But was religious about polishing his dress shoes every single time they were worn [usually before church, weddings & funerals]. As the oldest of 6 I learned how to polish my own shoes probably by the time I was 5 or 6 - and also helped with the "little kids" shoes by daubing on that white "paint" they sold to cover the scuffing on white baby shoes. I remember being very proud of the fact that I was trusted to do that. We all had chores around the house, starting around the age of 5 or so I think. The first job I remember being allowed to do was to unwrap soap bars when Mom would get back from grocery shopping. She always said soap would last longer if it was dried out so all soaps at our house was removed from its paper packaging and arranged among the sheets & towels in the linen closet. Bonus - scented linens! As we got older, we added washing dishes, dusting, vacuuming, etc to the girls' duties - and cutting the grass/shoveling & plowing snow to the boys' chores. Yes, things were very sexist at our house. I would have LOVED to cut grass, but I didn't get a chance to learn that until my 20s when all my brothers had moved out & I was still living with Mom & Dad while I was paying back my college loans! I thoroughly loved THAT job though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our household had just girls and our Dad saw nothing wrong with girls doing boys chores, lol. I think I could still hang sheetrock and tape seams. I know that both Sue and I know our way around a hammer and nails as well as the kitchen. Equal opportunity in our house.

      Delete
    2. That's the way it should be. Girls & boys should both learn it all. Boys need to learn how to throw together a halfway-decent meal, do laundry, sew a button etc. And girls need to know how to check the oil in their cars, change a tire, hammer a nail etc. I remember my youngest brother didn't have the first clue how to manage his check register when he first got a checking account, after high school. My mom showed him what to do - but never showed me or my 2 sisters. We basically just figured it out, I guess. Seems like in my generation, girls were a little more self-sufficient than boys. Or at least, not afraid to ask questions about things. But these days things are getting better, I think. Less sexist. Slowly of course - too slowly. But definitely getting better.

      Delete
  6. The only foot wear I ever polished was my cowboy boots for a horse show.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.