In The Kitchen...Cake Decorating Set


When I was a young housewife I did some cake decorating for groups and weddings. At that time, I had a lot of the fancy pans and decorating tips and tools for the cake toppings. Now days when I want to get a trifle fancy I have a few tips and some disposable bags. 
 You can find sets from plastic to metal tips and plastic couplers at most supermarkets and more elaborate sets at stores like Walmart and other department stores. Also they are widely available on line. 
 If you want to get some help and instruction the Wilton how to books are excellent. The instructions are clear and easy to follow and they always have some great ideas for something new. I have also found that their tips and couplers hold up well and are easy to use and clean. 
 Keeping a few basic tips on hand will let you decorate a plain cake or cupcake and make you look like a great baker without a lot of work. Practice helps make your work look great. When I first started my roses looked like cabbages. Frosting is not expensive and you can practice on a piece of foil covered cardboard. Try different tips to see what you can do with them.
 They are also fun for older children to use. When I was doing these for sale, my son who was in grade school at the time used to help and got quite good at writing on cakes. You can use them to make cream puffs, macaroons, frost cookies, and to frost cupcakes with the high swirly frosting that is in vogue now. Not a expensive item to buy and it will get you some excellent results with just a little practice and some quality time with your children.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I baked a batch of cupcakes this weekend. Instead of just plopping the frosting on top with a knife, I felt inspired and got out a big star tip and the plastic couplers and filled a disposable pastry bag and piped that frosting on just as pretty as you please. Funny how such a small thing can add so much visual appeal! They went from homey to fancy, just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Isn't it great when such a small thing can make something so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's the littlest things that make a Big impression
    I have had my Wilton decorating supplies for years but must say; I just don't use that much anymore

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.